up scale plane size for more payload.

Fred Scheaffer

The Cozy MK 4 is 16.9 feet long . The Velocity XL is 20 feet long. With greater useful load . Larger canard and larger main wing . But the Velocity weighs 750 pounds more. The thought occurred to me that if one were to up scale the MK 4 and keep to the  same build layups . One could increase load capacity and keep over all weight down below that of a Velocity . Any thoughts ?

Hi Fred,
Building bigger with more load but the same structure would result in a weaker aircraft. Not recommended.

What is your mission objective?

Many people have built fuselages a bit wider (myself included), and the Aerocanard is basically the same but a bit wider at the firewall, so more room in the back-seat area. How much space do you need? Of course, you have to be careful here - building bigger increases weight, which reduces usable payload!

Edited by Voidhawk9

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

As the builder, you can technically write in whatever MTOW you choose, but one should be wise about it. Will it need stronger gear? More power to maintain performance?
The Infinity Retracts are made and tested for 2,200lbs, so that might help with the former. A more powerful engine may help with the latter, but might add weight and wipe out any starting benefits. These are just starting suggestions, of course, and by no means an exhaustive list of considerations.

How much payload capacity do you need? Build light and fit minimal equipment, and all those weight savings translate into payload capability.

(GMT+12)

Sure. But are you building a Cozy or designing something new? Changing materials, strength testing etc. is not trivial and will make the project take much longer and become more expensive.

(GMT+12)

10 minutes ago, Fred Scheaffer said:

Not really looking for more space . Looking for more weight capacity .

You may really like the Weight and Balance spreadsheet the Marc Zeitlin has provided for us on his Unofficial Cozy website.

Just now, I opened it up and I put my weight in as 180, copilot as 180, changed fuel to 20 gallons, and then was able to add 500 lbs in the rear seat baggage area.  500 lbs!!!  Do you need more weight capacity than that?  I'm good to go for 400 miles with a quarter ton in the backseat area.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

1 hour ago, Fred Scheaffer said:

The thought occurred to me that if one were to up scale the MK 4 and keep to the  same build layups . One could increase load capacity and keep over all weight down below that of a Velocity . Any thoughts ?

Answer:Everything changes as a system.  Taller trees need bigger roots or they fall over. Can't just make it bigger... cause lots of things change 

Andrew Anunson

Trees are not planes and have much different physical structure requirements You half to under stand the materials you are working with . Just for example take a one square foot of Kevlar 4 oz per foot . Epoxy the peace and see if you can break it. And if it's a composite structure . You can stand your hole dam big ass tree on it and it's not going any where. Just a semantic example .

1 hour ago, Fred Scheaffer said:

Trees are not planes and have much different physical structure requirements You half to under stand the materials you are working with . Just for example take a one square foot of Kevlar 4 oz per foot . Epoxy the peace and see if you can break it. And if it's a composite structure . You can stand your hole dam big ass tree on it and it's not going any where. Just a semantic example .

Ohhh.... I see.  Thanks!  So, we can just make it bigger?  I didn't understand the materials.... Thanks!!!  

• Haha 1

Andrew Anunson

14 hours ago, Fred Scheaffer said:

The structure can be just as strong without adding more weight. You half to be smart on the construction  Materials used ect .

13 hours ago, Fred Scheaffer said:

Just for example take a one square foot of Kevlar 4 oz per foot .

Are you thinking of building a Cozy out of Kevlar?

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold