Please allow me to introduce myself...

Hi to anyone reading this,

Contemplating a build of a LongEZ. Just at the very beginning of my research.

Any tips that might save me some time/angst -either now or at a later stage would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Duncan

Hi Duncan, welcome!

8 hours ago, Duncan said:

Contemplating a build of a LongEZ. Just at the very beginning of my research.

Any tips that might save me some time/angst -either now or at a later stage would be greatly appreciated. 

Here are some thoughts off the top of my head:

1. Setup for this to be your only hobby for a good while.  Your life will be family, work, and this.
  2. Be sure to bring your significant other along, slowly, and that they appreciate what you're doing.
  3. Setup your shop now, before you get into it.  I made the mistake of dancing around these first 3 points myself and ended up moving my project twice in various states.
  4. Stick to the plans.  There are several commonly accepted modifications (ex. electric landing gear, speed brake, etc.) that you can incorporate with relative ease, but ANYTHING unique will cost you time and threaten completion.
  5. Consider picking up an abandoned project.  Many start but abandon after a few chapters of work.
  6. Buy prefab parts to the extent you can.
  7. Treat it as a project.  The only thing that makes it move forward is time in the shop, every day, even if just to prepare for the next working session.
  8. Make sure it's fun and enjoyable.

Take that with a grain of salt and keep asking questions.

• Thanks 1

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Jon Matcho provided excellent advice. This isn’t a once in a while type of project. Folks that treat it that way never finish. Be prepared to spend between 1000 and 2000 hours completing it. The wide variation is dependent on your abilities to do hands on projects and how Much “extra” you decide to do. 

And one more thing, it is a project that you will be proud of forever. It will open advenures you never dreamed of.   I have never met anyone who completed their plane that regretted it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1.)  Consider a Cozy MKIV.... side by side front seating is very nice for some people and the cost / work is similar.

2.)  You can buy a good flying Long-EZ or Cozy for the same that it will cost to build one.  Just make certain to get a PPI from one of the recommended people.  Just ask, we'll help you find one.

3.)  The Long-EZ and Cozy designs are very mature.... meaning they are well proven and there should be no unpleasant surprises if you follow the plans.

4.)  Build because you want to build... not because you want to get flying for less cost.  I have no regrets tackling a Cozy build, but it wasn't a cheap and easy way to go flying.

If you decide to do this.... its a lot of fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem