Hello everyone. I'm jumping into building a MKIV.

I've been researching (forums, mailing lists, builders blogs, YouTube vlogs, etc) and dreaming about building a canard since eyeing my first Long-EZ in person back in '00 at a ERAU-DB homecoming fly-in.

I joined my local EAA chapter in NC a few years ago and met some builders. I then drove out to Rough River last summer and confirmed that my tall frame could actually fit comfortably with the seatback moved aft. The weekend prior I attended a composites EAA SportaAir workshop and put theory into hands-on practice.

Now I've cast off many of my old projects & hobbies and moved across the country to the Olympic Peninsula where a long paved runway is only minutes away and many of the places I'd love to explore are frustratingly far away by car due to the geography of the Puget Sound. Owning a fast, economical (relatively speaking) aircraft has never made more practical sense to me than right here and now.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered my Cozy plans (#1773). Once I'm finished settling into my new home I'm going to begin building in earnest.

That's great Adam, welcome to the forum and the journey ahead.

Now I've cast off many of my old projects & hobbies...

That's a key requirement, and one I think we all struggle with.  I've had to lower my expectations for lawncare.  Just try not to cast away your significant others...  :) 

Owning a fast, economical (relatively speaking) aircraft has never made more practical sense to me than right here and now.

Those are indeed the selling points that I reminded myself of recently as well. The only drawback is that you need relatively long runways (shorter with experience) and no grass strips.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered my Cozy plans (#1773). Once I'm finished settling into my new home I'm going to begin building in earnest.

Good luck and keep at it... read through those plans and make sure you reserve a workshop area in that new home...  :thumbsup:

Congratulations!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Welcome to building! My story is not too much different from yours.

Today is 'plane day' for me. I need to get away from the PC and out to the workshop! Time to get these fuselage sides glassed. :)

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

Welcome Adam!!!  Congratulations!!!  I have plans #1273 (500 sets in front of yours).... and just now finishing up the last chapter that involves building large composite parts... Chapter 21 Fuel Strakes.  I hope you too get the enjoyment that I have with this project.... its BIG.  Its a bigger project than building a house.

My yard has weeds cause I'm building a plane...I like that Jon!

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

My yard has weeds cause I'm building a plane...I like that Jon!

I am still managing through the stress I feel when I see dandelions in my yard. I stopped treating the lawn 3 years ago, and have since justified this with my natural/organic approach to everything -- who says dandelions need to be removed anyway? What's happened since is the diversity of greenery and small flowers everywhere. It's quite pretty actually, and I understand this all gives the bugs and small animals something to eat than what's in my garden.

My point? Building a Cozy is good for the environment!  :D

Ha... that's where they came from.

Adam, you can start thinking about your work table(s). I chose to build 4 of this design: https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/homebuilt-aircraft-and-homebuilt-aircraft-kits/resources-for-while-youre-building/building-articles/tools-and-workshop/worktables

I modified them to be 2' x 6' each, built 4, and set them up to bolt together for a 4' x 12' work table.

HOWEVER, I built my bulkheads on a 4' x 4' piece of cabinet grade plywood.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

One of the changes I've made in moving is a smaller yard.  I'm hoping to still keep up with it while building.. just, uhh, check back with me next year on that point.

Thanks for the table recommendation.  Those seem easy enough.  Getting caught up in all the choices available seems to a be a huge crippling time sink, so I'll likely keep my head down and build those.  :cool1:

One of the changes I've made in moving is a smaller yard.  I'm hoping to still keep up with it while building.. just, uhh, check back with me next year on that point.

Sounds like you know it's possible to spend as much time on a small yard as it is on acres of space.

Thanks for the table recommendation.  Those seem easy enough.  Getting caught up in all the choices available seems to a be a huge crippling time sink, so I'll likely keep my head down and build those.  :cool1:

This is a substantial project requiring good long-term project management and prioritization skills. Several things don't require much thought or over-thinking, and those that you think do are rather well laid-out in the plans.

It's a fun time!