VariEze questions for those building or have built a VariEze

MarkMS

I'm new to the forum and have always been interested in the Vari and Long EZ. Right now I'm more interested in the VariEze since it doesn't require a high HP Lycoming, but still seems like a fast efficient XC plane.

I was wondering where I would be able to find plans for the VariEze?

Do builders usually go with an O-200 or VW engine?

Thanks

-Mark

Variezes are fine if you are not such a big guy but i could not fit in one. It was Burt's first attempt at a composite airplane and i think most people will say the Long-ez is just a better design, although there are fellows who fly the heck out their Variezes. I have 46 hours on my Long-ez now. Never owned a Vari.

Varis have a history of wing attachment corrosion that the Longs don't have--better way of mounting the wings in the Long.

Most people put O-320s on the Long-ezs these days. It's one of the most common engine, parts are cheap. I don't think the engine cost differential is very significant.

A nice Long-ez fuselage just sold on ebay for $2125. It was on the gear, nice canopy and strakes. It probably had $10K worth of parts and labor in it. Buy a project. The market is depressed and there are some great deals out there. There's where you can save some big bucks!

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

• 4 weeks later...

I found a deal on a varieze not to far from where I live, everything is done except that it doesn't have an engine or instruments.  I did a quick search for an o-200B for sale and I can find the A models all over the place, but no B's does the vari require that it have the B version. Or doe the B just mean that it doesn't have the starter. I think in the future I would put the lightweight C&B starter on it.  I guess what I'm asking is could I buy an O-200A and take the starter off?

Wanted to get your thoughts, what about an O-235? It's a bit heavy but could it work to haul two people around and a duffel bag without being at gross?

See this. http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/o-200a.b.pdf

Suggest you take some pics and the builders log to your FAA FSDO and see if it meets the "major portion" rule and you could get the Repairman's certificate for it. Alternatively, a DAR could probably tell you. Best to have that confirmed before laying down cash.

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

I found a deal on a varieze not to far from where I live, everything is done except that it doesn't have an engine or instruments.  I did a quick search for an o-200B for sale and I can find the A models all over the place, but no B's does the vari require that it have the B version. Or doe the B just mean that it doesn't have the starter. I think in the future I would put the lightweight C&B starter on it.  I guess what I'm asking is could I buy an O-200A and take the starter off?

Wanted to get your thoughts, what about an O-235? It's a bit heavy but could it work to haul two people around and a duffel bag without being at gross?

You are aware of the wing fitting corrosion issue on Variezes, yes?

And you've had a Pre-Buy examination by a competent and canard knowledgeable examiner, yes?

There are numerous VE's flying with all types of O-200's, O-235's, and even a few O-320's. Most of them are flying well over the MGW from the POH. That in no way is an endorsement of doing so, merely a statement of fact.

I'm going to go look at it on Saturday. The gentleman that is selling has owned 5 canard aircrafts. He bought it for a winter project and says the build quality is excellent. I'm aware about the corrosion issue that will be the first thing I check.

I'll be sure to get a pre buy inspection before deciding to purchase. I appreciate everyone's help on this.

I'm going to go look at it on Saturday. The gentleman that is selling has owned 5 canard aircrafts. He bought it for a winter project and says the build quality is excellent. I'm aware about the corrosion issue that will be the first thing I check.

Except that you CAN'T check the wing attach fittings for corrosion without taking the metal fittings off of the wing/center spar, in which case you're into it for 40-80 hours of work to remove/replace them. That's the problem here - the stuff you can see isn't the stuff that will kill you if it corrodes - it's the stuff you can't see. So his sayso on the quality of the build might be useful for everything else, but ANYONE's opinion on the state of the wing attach fittings is meaningless.

I'll be sure to get a pre buy inspection before deciding to purchase. I appreciate everyone's help on this.

Good.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
21 hours ago, Jack Newberry said:

I have a low time varieze ready to fly but the air brake cables are broken. does anyone have a diagram how they are routed and attached?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd guess they are similar to those in the Long-EZ and the Long-EZ plans are in the Open-EZ topic on this website.  Search for Open-Ez

-Kent