AirVenture Oshkosh 2016

I am flying into Milwaukee this Saturday 7/23 with two others, and then renting an RV to drive in and camp.  Leaving Wednesday at 7/27.

I am looking forward to getting a good dose of motivation and meeting old and new friends.

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure 

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 2 weeks later...

It was definitely a first, flying at 25,000' at 300+ knots from Illinois to New Jersey in three hours without an oxygen mask.  Well, not counting a commercial flight.  A turboprop is incredibly smooth and relatively quite in flight.

The trip provided a good does of motivation.  I was there for 4 days, before the big weekend at the tail end, and walked myself to the limit.  No matter how hard I tried I couldn't see it all and want a do-over.  I suppose that's why people go back year after year.   ;)

These pictures don't do justice to the massive size of this fly-in.

post-126731-0-55743700-1470397130_thumb.jpg

post-126731-0-79627900-1470397132_thumb.jpg

post-126731-0-38345100-1470397135_thumb.jpg

post-126731-0-53724200-1470397137_thumb.jpg

I'll write-up the back story on pics 1 and 2, but here you go:

1. These three guys imported 3 non-flying SpeedCanards in from Saudi Arabia (I think) and got them airworthy as Experimentals.
  2. One of the 3 SpeedCanards.
  3. Bruce Crain's Quickie TriQ-200.
  4. Klaus Savier's Long-EZ "The Delaminator"

I would really appreciate some more photos of "The Delaminator".  I have one of Klaus's LSE props for my Cozy, and I'd like to see some details of how he mounts his prop.

Looking forward to your write-up!

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Whoops!  I got Klaus' VariEze name mixed up with his Long-EZ.  They are as follows:

• Savier VariEze "Delaminator"
  • Savier Long-EZ "Determinator"

Here's an excellent AOPA article that uses Klaus' engine and prop as one of its references.

AOPA Propulsion Where Do We Go From Here.pdf

Whoops!  I got Klaus' VariEze name mixed up with his Long-EZ.  They are as follows:

• Savier VariEze "Delaminator"
  • Savier Long-EZ "Determinator"

Here's an excellent AOPA article that uses Klaus' engine and prop as one of its references.

Yeah... I get the names mixed up too.  At least we can know the difference between a VariEze and a Long-EZ!!

I appreciate the article, and would still like to see any photos you got while in Oshkosh.

Thanks!

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Those are good pictures!  Sounds like a good time!

Speed Canard huh?  I wonder how that thing performs. 

What ever happened to "you gotta paint it white" theory?  That paint job on that Quickie is pretty cool! 

Kirk out...

It was definitely a motivational trip, but the most walking I've done since I-don't-know-when.

Relative to a Long-EZ the Speed Canard is slower.  It's taken a lot of abuse because of its name, and took me until now to realize its differentiating factor:  Cabin room.  There's room in the Speed Canard than a Long-EZ given its fuselage was based on a glider's fuselage (or an actual glider part).  However, the strakes do not come all the way forward to the front pilot area, which does afford the Long-EZ some more room.  The Speed Canard may have better visibility as well.

I did get to sit in one and you can see that it's still a snug fit.

I was not able to get back to them to find out how they managed those dark colors.  That theory is a reality, just like Icarus.  Temps too high will soften the cured epoxy to the point of failure.  You can guarantee this with black, and avoid it altogether with white.

post-126731-0-87684600-1471277587_thumb.jpg

The view out of the glass must be great!  Looks a little snug, I'm not claustrophobic but I need a little elbow room, especially on long trips.  Interesting little plane though. 

The view out of the glass must be great!  Looks a little snug, I'm not claustrophobic but I need a little elbow room, especially on long trips.  Interesting little plane though. 

The SpeedCanard and Long-EZ have some elbow room, along with Cozy Girrrl extended strakes in a Cozy IV.

You'll have to sit in one someday, but if you're looking at a Cozy IV you'll have plenty of room (with the strakes modification).

• Like 1

The SpeedCanard and Long-EZ have some elbow room, along with Cozy Girrrl extended strakes in a Cozy IV.

You'll have to sit in one someday, but if you're looking at a Cozy IV you'll have plenty of room (with the strakes modification).

Went out to KFLY and met Burrall a couple of weeks ago!  Nice guy, shot the breeze with me for awhile and I got to see what was going on in his shop!  Got to see his Cozy3, there's plenty of room in there for me and the wife!  Strakes for sure though!