Oil Cooler

wildbird

I put mine in the lower aft baffle. There are a lot of folks that have done so. Before that I had oil temp troubles. I had the first cooler in the standard location on the left side of the lower cowl. That adds drag due to the air coming out of the cowl at the cooler outlet. It didn't cool well for me anyway. I put the second cooler behind that one with the oil flow in series. Still didn't cool well. I changed to one cooler in the lower aft baffle and now I have to block off some of the cooler to get reasonable temps. The most I have ever seen even with over a third of the cooler blocked off is 91C. I must mention that it is a large cooler. The air comes in the cowl and hugs the bottom and slams into the baffle and the cooler and you get a lot of flow through it. The bonus is that the air out of the cooler is just added to the cylinder cooling flow and does not require a draggy additional outlet.

Dave Adams

Long EZ N83DT

Race 83

The plans location doesn't work well because of the where the oil cooler is venting to!

In a plans Updraft cooling system, the lower cowl is pressurized. The plans location has you venting the oil cooler into this high pressure area, so you don't get a lot of air flow through the cooler.

My oil cooler was in the plans location, mounted to the lower cowl. I made a small adapter out of fiberglass that fit on top (the exhaust side) of the oil cooler and had a 2 1/2 inch aluminum tube so I could connect a 2 1/2 inch SCAT tube to it.

I then cut a 2 1/2 in hole in the center of the lower baffle, the one that seals the alternator / starter against the lower cowl, and installed a small 2 1/2 aluminum tube in it. The SCAT tube from the oil cooler then connects to this tube.

Looking at the back of the engine compartment when the cowling is installed, you'll see the 2 1/2 inch hole just below the Starter and Alternator, this is where the oil cooler exhaust air comes out.

Coldest oil ever. :-)

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Sometimes a picture is worth.... This location works extremely well for me. So well that I had to add a sliding door to get the oil temps up. With half the cooler blocked off, 90 degrees and 90% humidity day, oil temps sit at 180 in my 0-320 powered LEZ.

post-9628-141090169782_thumb.jpg

... nice looking job by the way.

Wildbird N227EZ

"Nice looking job, by the way"...understatement of the month!!! By the way, it looks as if you could eat out of it in there!

Clue me, as to how everything looks so friggin clean?!

Also, do you polish your exhaust after each flight? Or do you get your GIB to do it?:cool:

Yow.

Man, you got one clean engine bay, Scotty. No klingons in there!:)

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Sometimes a picture is worth.... This location works extremely well for me. So well that I had to add a sliding door to get the oil temps up. With half the cooler blocked off, 90 degrees and 90% humidity day, oil temps sit at 180 in my 0-320 powered LEZ.

Now all you need is to put a cockpit push-pull control on that door so that you can take off on hot-hot days full open and when you get to altitude close it down:cool:

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

Yow.

Man, you got one clean engine bay, Scotty. No klingons in there!:)

I confess... The only time the engine bay looked that clean was within the first 10 hours or so... (that's when that pic was taken). 2 years and 150 hours later, not quite as pristine. Still clean but not pristine.

Call me Fleix Unger.:cool2:

I've been thinking of a cable control. That may be a winters project.