Looking for a waterjet service.

HI to all.

The great guy who waterjetted out my hinges has bellied up. I am hoping to send my software/program [or my hinges themselves-first run was just steel]to cut my hinges, too someone with a waterjet and have them cut them out. They need to be EXACTLY per the original geometry. I have a piece of stainless ready to UPS out.

Anybody have a waterjet?

Additionally the shelf part that connects to the canopy bottom needs to a 90degree break, not welded.

Here's a pic of them.

post-4661-141090169724_thumb.jpg

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Well, I bought the stainless sheet. Alum 2024 would have been fine. Maybe I should just buy the alum anyway.

What kinda question is, "how bad do I want it"? :rolleyes:

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Well, I bought the stainless sheet. Alum 2024 would have been fine. Maybe I should just buy the alum anyway.

What kinda question is, "how bad do I want it"? :rolleyes:

The advantage with SS is the smaller bend radius. with alum you would need a bigger bend radius depending on the heat treat and type of alum. 2024 t3 or 6061 T4 heat treat. 6061 would be the best if you are going to polish looks in the picture that the flange was welded on. you could do that in alum but then it needs to re-heat treated because the welding will make it loose the temper and it will bend. how thick is the SS. a alum is half the weight of SS so if the SS can be half the thickness you will be ok. the problem is that SS half the thickness will bend easier then the alum will. also if the SS has any scratches it will be very hard to polish than out and keep the surface looking like it came from the mill. how thick are you using? I used 3/16" 6061 t4 alum

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Edge-

Though I have not used them in quite a few years, I've had success with H2O Precision in Hayward:

23287 Foley St # D

Hayward, CA 94545-1699

(510) 781-0746

Also there is East Bay Laser and Waterjet:

www.eblw.com

435 S 2nd St

Richmond, CA 94804-2115

(510) 235-0559

I have not used them personally, but a good friend has used them numerous times.

Kevin R. Walsh & Michael Antares

Cozy Mk-IV #413

N753CZ

Lynn,

I have 3/16" SS. Yes, polishing it is on the agenda. It was you and I talking about it and the bend at the top, [don't want a weld]and the re-heattreating of Alum that swayed me to the SS.

EVERY hole has to be in the same place as the original units as nutplates are installed in the canopy core at each mounting point with attachment core backing. Those mounting cores go skin to skin. The geometry cant change anywhere. I didnt do it like Uli at all.

I never could get my mind wrapped around taxiing around with the canopy 1/3 up on the shocks, with crosswinds beating on it and the side to side forces from uneven taxiways, etc all working on those hinges for many years, with them being done out of 3/16 aluminum. My installation is omewhat like yours Lynn, in that it has a front guide on each side of the arced hinge arm for an additional point of stability. But still, all of my analness ended up with me going with Steel and then SS.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Lynn,

I have 3/16" SS. Yes, polishing it is on the agenda. It was you and I talking about it and the bend at the top, [don't want a weld]and the re-heattreating of Alum that swayed me to the SS.

EVERY hole has to be in the same place as the original units as nutplates are installed in the canopy core at each mounting point with attachment core backing. Those mounting cores go skin to skin. The geometry cant change anywhere. I didnt do it like Uli at all.

I never could get my mind wrapped around taxiing around with the canopy 1/3 up on the shocks, with crosswinds beating on it and the side to side forces from uneven taxiways, etc all working on those hinges for many years, with them being done out of 3/16 aluminum. My installation is omewhat like yours Lynn, in that it has a front guide on each side of the arced hinge arm for an additional point of stability. But still, all of my analness ended up with me going with Steel and then SS.

why not gust weld out the steel ones and have them chromed or nickel plated cost about the same as the water jet cutting. they are already fit to the plane many places do custom chrome for the low rider industry. they like their chrome. that way they do the polishing. do you know what you are getting into polishing the SS? I do and that is why mine are aluminum besides the weight. when you look at the cost of the polishing of SS vs chrome they are about the same. there is also a chrome coating that can be used. http://coatofchrome.com/ how about black chrome? or colored chrome? but if you do that you will have to buy a Lambo to go with the plane

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

why not gust weld out the steel ones and have them chromed or nickel plated cost about the same as the water jet cutting. they are already fit to the plane many places do custom chrome for the low rider industry. they like their chrome. that way they do the polishing. do you know what you are getting into polishing the SS? I do and that is why mine are aluminum besides the weight. when you look at the cost of the polishing of SS vs chrome they are about the same. there is also a chrome coating that can be used. http://coatofchrome.com/ how about black chrome? or colored chrome? but if you do that you will have to buy a Lambo to go with the plane

Well, snap.. you saw through me.

I have a Gallardo on order to replace my z4, see picture below. [pic enclosed due to the noted plate#'s]

Good idea about the chroming etc. How thick is that/those process'? I guess I could live with the weld. Thing is I need everything exactly the same. Maybe the chroming would be easier.

Salinas ought to have several chrome outfits, I would think. Maybe San Jose?

post-4661-141090169731_thumb.jpg

Self confessed Wingnut.

Good idea about the chroming etc. How thick is that/those process'? I guess I could live with the weld. Thing is I need everything exactly the same. Maybe the chroming would be easier.

Have a certified welder TIG weld your parts. Advise him (or her) of the parent material specification (1020,4130, etc.)

DO NOT CROME PLATE A WELDED AIRCRAFT COMPONENT! A nasty phenomenon called hydrogen induced cracking can occur when the heat affected zone is sealed by chrome plating. Most racing organizations forbid chrome plating any critical suspension or safety component. Other, more porous plating process like nickel, are OK.

Really? Wow.

Ya learn something every day. I woulda thought all those chrome bumpers would be...?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Have a certified welder TIG weld your parts. Advise him (or her) of the parent material specification (1020,4130, etc.)

DO NOT CROME PLATE A WELDED AIRCRAFT COMPONENT! A nasty phenomenon called hydrogen induced cracking can occur when the heat affected zone is sealed by chrome plating. Most racing organizations forbid chrome plating any critical suspension or safety component. Other, more porous plating process like nickel, are OK.

maybe someone should tell all the auto manufactures about that. is that why they don't use much chrome anymore.

Actually it is true that chrome plating can cause Hydrogen embrittlement in high strength steel alloys. it causes the surface to have many microscopic cracks from the high pressures build up from the hydrogen infused during the plating process. this problem came be cured by a relief process done after the plating process.

the fact that the steel used on the FHC brackets is mild steel means they will not be effected by chrome plating to the point that they will crack. also the the fact that they are about 500 times stronger then they need to be means there will not be any flexing of the steel to allow the micro cracks to turn into a crack that would fail the part. good thing it does not effect the mild steel or we would be in danger of all the chrome car bumper falling off on the hyway

• 4 months later...

maybe someone should tell all the auto manufactures about that. is that why they don't use much chrome anymore.

Naw, cause' its too expensive and too hazardous. Haven't seen a new chrome bumper for years.

Dennis, if you need something polished though there's still a few around the Detroit area. You can send it to me and I'll oversee the job.

Back to waterjet.....