Cozy or Long EZ

Sydmoe

Which takes longer to complete? And for those that have had the pleasure to build both, did you find one more difficult then the other? Since the techniques are the same so I am going to guess there is no difference but I thought I would ask anyhow.

Which takes longer to complete? And for those that have had the pleasure to build both, did you find one more difficult then the other? Since the techniques are the same so I am going to guess there is no difference but I thought I would ask anyhow.

Either one could take longer to complete.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Sydmoe asks:

I probably qualified to answer this question. They both take a long time to build. The Longeze is faster and easier to build than a Cozy IV. There are more things to build and it is a lot bigger so the lay-ups take longer. That is the fuselage I am talking about, the wings and center section are the same almost. The spar caps are a bit deeper so they take a little more time but this is very negligible. The Gu canard is a lot easier to build than the Ronce that the Cozy sports. I like the way Nat has changed some things on the Cozy verses the Longeze the motor mounts and the main gear mounts are better and easier to work on. He made the main gear bolts accessible. The Long is smaller and lighter so it is easier to move around by your self. I have to have help to roll the cozy tub. The Cozy has dual rudder pedals and dual controls this obviously takes longer to make. The Longeze has more room in it when you are sitting in it. One is a sports car the other is a station wagon they both go fast and look cool. I miss my Longeze but am sure I will love the Cozy.When the Cozy is done I am thinking of building another Longeze but who knows maybe I should build a taildragger so I could go to all the cool grass strips in the mountains here in Idaho. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Thanks Steve. That is exactly the type of answer i was looking for. I know build time is dependent on the commitment and speed of the builder, but all things being equal I wondered how much the larger size of the Cozy, or other parts or changes incorporated in its design, added to over all build time. You have answered the question and then some.

I'm SURE that there is more work on the Cozy, after all it is bigger and has dual controls.

Can you measure the difference ... i doubt it seriously. But then you could and tell us how much :-)

And you could quantify the $ value difference, but by the time you finished writing the report, you would have finished the bigger plane :)

My opinion ... build the 4 seater, that way you CAN take all the luggage that you want for a 14 day holiday!

Have fun!

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

It doesn't take _appreciably_ longer to build a C-IV over an LEZ. I have all the big pieces done on my LEZ project and it doesn't seem to have gone much faster than my C-IV. If two guys (or girrrls) start LEZ and C-IV projects at the same time, the one who sticks to the plans and works fast will finish first. If you start using auto engines and building cowls, either takes a lot longer.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Just a thought - I would not build one vs the other based on how long they take to build. You want to build the one that is going to fit your mission. :)

The Long will get better fuel economy and will be less expensive to operate due to the smaller engine. But the Cozy will take two people and lots of stuff or four people that like each other a lot. :)

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.