First Flight Today

(drum roll) Saturday the 27th was inspection day for N499CM at the Springfield , TN airport. I was able to tweak a few things in the DAR's presence and at the end of the day awarded the nicest pink slip you can imagine. Sunday and most of today was spent buttoning her up and getting mentally prepared to begin Phase 1. Fast forwarding; the taxi, takeoff, climb out, two orbits around the pattern and landing were as required. I did suffer a big oil leak but it incredibly occurred during the last 300 feet of taxi to shutdown. After cleaning it up it appears to be the braided steel line from the engine to the oil pressure sending unit is at fault. This is an easy fix but the fact that it occurred at that point still blows me away! If it had happened in flight I would have seized the engine. What I want to convey to everyone is that test flying is serious business. The airplane was flying great but I decided to not push it more than two times around the patch. The oil did not get low enough to set off the Dynon's alarm. Be sure to install an orfice in the fitting at the engine so that you don't have a massive leak if the hose fails. Guess what I will be doing in the morning.....Practicing what I preach! It has been a good day. I'll most likely get to fly her again Tuesday. BUILD ON!:cool2

post-6277-141090168684_thumb.jpg

(drum roll) Saturday the 27th was inspection day for N499CM at the Springfield , TN airport. I was able to tweak a few things in the DAR's presence and at the end of the day awarded the nicest pink slip you can imagine. Sunday and most of today was spent buttoning her up and getting mentally prepared to begin Phase 1. Fast forwarding; the taxi, takeoff, climb out, two orbits around the pattern and landing were as required. I did suffer a big oil leak but it incredibly occurred during the last 300 feet of taxi to shutdown. After cleaning it up it appears to be the braided steel line from the engine to the oil pressure sending unit is at fault. This is an easy fix but the fact that it occurred at that point still blows me away! If it had happened in flight I would have seized the engine. What I want to convey to everyone is that test flying is serious business. The airplane was flying great but I decided to not push it more than two times around the patch. The oil did not get low enough to set off the Dynon's alarm. Be sure to install an orfice in the fitting at the engine so that you don't have a massive leak if the hose fails. Guess what I will be doing in the morning.....Practicing what I preach! It has been a good day. I'll most likely get to fly her again Tuesday. BUILD ON!:cool2

Congrats, thats great. yes it is to cool.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Here is a pic of N499CM earlier today. It is 0320-E2D power swinging a prop that I fabricated using JC Prop Design.

Congratulations on first flight!!! Although it's been about a year and a half since I did my first flight, I remember like it was yesterday... What a rush! Put on another 100 hours and it will feel like a second skin.

I'm interested in your JC prop. I'm about to cut one myself. (perhaps we need to start another thread)

The EZ has three short flights on her now. I'm trying to keep the speed down on the first flights but she is pretty fast. At roughly 2300 rpm I was showing 140 knots IAS . That is without wheel pants , canopy seal and some other minor gaps to be siliconed. I thought that I had a high oil temperature and the Dynon alerted me on que. As it tuned out I had the wrong oil temperature sending unit selected. The temperature was well within limits. I will fly each day and continue to analyze everything. Maybe by the weekend I will install the wheel pants and shake it out a little harder. BTW the canard's elevator behaves exactly like my CozyIV's elevator. It is ever so slightly reflexed straight and level. I appreciate all the congrats posted.

The EZ has three short flights on her now. I'm trying to keep the speed down on the first flights but she is pretty fast. At roughly 2300 rpm I was showing 140 knots IAS . That is without wheel pants , canopy seal and some other minor gaps to be siliconed. I thought that I had a high oil temperature and the Dynon alerted me on que. As it tuned out I had the wrong oil temperature sending unit selected. The temperature was well within limits. I will fly each day and continue to analyze everything. Maybe by the weekend I will install the wheel pants and shake it out a little harder. BTW the canard's elevator behaves exactly like my CozyIV's elevator. It is ever so slightly reflexed straight and level. I appreciate all the congrats posted.

Congratulations Michael. Keep up the focused flight test and enjoy your aeroplane.

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

Thanks for all the great replies. As of today I have made five flights. It is going so well that I explored the slow flight down to 60 knots indicated up to 180 knots in a shallow dive. It handles as advertised. It is just a little heavier on the roll ( both ways ) than I remember on my CozyIV. I suspect that the balance springs may be tighter than they should be. The oil temperature is excellent. The next time I drop the lower cowling I'll get a good pic to share. It is my own concept and it works. With the 320 I am able to clear the ground in 800 feet. That is with 20 gallons of fuel and I weigh 160#. My last two landings were smooth. All I had to do was get it down below 70 knots and the landings smoothed out. Some of the pressure is subsiding and I'm able to enjoy it more. Now get back out to your shop and get that next layup done.;)

• 2 weeks later...

As of today I have ten hours on the LongEZ. It has been in the air 16 times so most of them have been less than 30 minutes. The stock 0320 has her off the pavement in less than 1000 feet even with current density altitudes in the 2900 foot range.

I'm feeling really good about my homemade prop. It is as smooth or better than the Performance prop I had on the CozyIV. I'll have performance numbers available later.

At this point I am still running mineral oil for break in. I have fouled the bottom plug on #1 cylinder twice now and hope that that will clear up soon so that I can take longer flights. The cold compression numbers were all 75/80 except for one at 72/80.