Long-EZ Antenna Question

TPowerCo

Hi,

The fellow who sold me his Long-EZ plans now has a few other items to sell. One of the items is labeled "Transparent High Gain Antenna Tape" and from the photo (which I've attached) it appears as though he purchased it from Rocky Mountain Instrument. I contacted them to get the skinny on this item and their reply was that this is not one of their products. I assume the current owner purchased this antenna in the 80's so maybe it is just an old/discontinued product.

Anyhow, my question: Since so much has changed over the years, does this look like something I would want to use in my Long-EZ? What do you suppose it is worth? Bear in mind I'm a complete rookie when it comes to radios/avionics and so far have no idea what will be in my panel.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Tom

Alberta, Canada

post-962-141090168232_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna step out on a limb here, but does the package contain a length of copper foil self-stick tape, a length of coax, and some toroid beads (powdered metal donuts)? Standard antennas for composite construction, and relatively inexpensive.

What do the instruction say?

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

I've seen Star Trek IV, but they blabbed about transparent aluminum. This is transparent copper, must be another series...

Sorry, I don't have an opinion about it, but it does seem pretty clear they intend you use it as an antenna.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Spodman and Rick,

Thanks for the replies. I've never actually seen this antenna kit (except for the photo that I attached to this thread) so I'm not sure exactly what's included in the package. I guess what I really wanted to know is, is one antenna basically as good as the next? I think I'll just purchase it and see where it takes me. Thanks again for your help. (This is just the start to a looong list of dumb questions I know I'll be asking! :)

Tom.

As far as composite construction goes, the ever popular copper foil tape embedded in the glass is the cat's meow. Simple, cheap, works quite well.

You can get a 'kit' that contains enough foil and torroids to do all the antennas you'd typically need for a few bucks. http://www.rst-engr.com/ is one source.

Old coax (RG-??), that was state of the art at the time, has been phased out and replaced with better products like RF400, LMR series, ... ie: they use teflon or tefzel for insulation/abrasion material now.

I would say pass on the bagged kit you mention, but I haven't seen the kit either :)

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Tom,

There is something odd about the connector in the package (in the picture). It looks like the type used for car stereos. The co-ax used for car stereos is the absolute worst kind you could get and I doubt you could find a BNC connector to fit it. I'm with rickh, give it a pass and go with the RST kit.

If you are concerned about the foil tape breaking, there is an alternate to the foil. Get some RG-8 coax, strip the braid from it and flatten it. Make sure it stays about 1/2" wide for the full length. Use it as you would the foil tape. 2 lengths 22.5" long will make a sturdy di-pole for 125mhz, easily bonded into foam.

Rick and Neil,

Thanks for the replies. The fellow that has this antenna for sale offered me a good price for all the EZ items he has for sale so I guess the antenna will just be an 'added bonus'. :) Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into getting the antenna kit from RST.

Tom