Rear throttle

wildbird

My next project is to put a rear throttle in my Long Ez. I know people have done this before so rather than re inventing the wheel does any one have photos or drawings I could upload.

Wildbird

If you have a really good reason to do so thats fine. most people that have put them in never find a reason to use them. But if you must, it is really simple if you use push pull type in both front and rear positions. just run both cables to the lever on the butterfly and when one moves they both move. I don't consider the old Brock controls a safe way to control a throttle so we won't go there.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

I don't like the Brock set up either I would much prefer push pull cables rather than bicycle brake cables. I may leave the Brock set up in place for the carb heat but change out the mixture and throttle to something resembling a piper set up. I was checked out in a Vari Eze over 20 years ago and have some back seat time with low time Carnardians up front. It would have been nice to have a throttle in the back if only for peace of mind. I have installed a Grand Rapids glass cockpit in the back along with electric speed brake, trim and gear. I also plan to install a shielded mag switch. If need be except for rudders and brakes it can be landed from the back seat, retract the gear and kill the engine.

Thanks for the help

Wildbird

• 4 weeks later...

The Brock throttle actually works quite well if you do good work in your installation and are diligent in keeping it lubricated. I have rear throttle and mixture that ar slaved to the front Brock throttle quadrant. My EZ first flew in 1983 and now has 2,600+ hours on it without any quadrant (front or rear) problems.

Dick Kreidel

N888EZ

The Brock throttle actually works quite well if you do good work in your installation and are diligent in keeping it lubricated. I have rear throttle and mixture that ar slaved to the front Brock throttle quadrant. My EZ first flew in 1983 and now has 2,600+ hours on it without any quadrant (front or rear) problems.

Dick Kreidel

N888EZ

I ordered a pair of custom made throttles from Baxter. They will have throttle ,mixture and carb heat up front and throttle and mixture in the back. If I decide not to put the mixture in the back I can eliminate it. I decided to put 2 guarded mag witches on the canopy side of the rollover structure so that they are accessible from the rear seat also. I don't think the mixture is necessary in the back it was more that I don't like being stuck in the back with out a way to kill the engine if necessary, but moving the mag switches to the roll over structure resolved that issue. Some of this comes from many years ago before starters and electric gear. I had a Vari-Eze and you would put your passenger in with the nose down, then hand prop the engine, run around the plane, crank the nose up and jump in. All this was going on while I or whom ever was in the back had no way to kill the engine if necessary. That has all changed with the electric gear and the starter. Any way I would be interested in how you made the flexible cables work both the front and rear locations. I plan to use push pull stiff cables not the flexible cable like my Brock arrangement has now.

Wildbird

Drew-

Thanks for the links. I think I misunderstood. The mention was to a was to a push-pull cable, and what I envisioned was a pull-pull cable where you use a pair of them to positively pull the throttle opened and closed. This mos is to replace the twisted multi-strand control cable with a solid core cable. I can see the advantage there, clearly, but really have to wonder if pull-pull (using the solid core cable) might be even better.

Kevin R. Walsh & Michael Antares

Cozy Mk-IV #413

N753CZ

Not sure that I understand what a pull-pull cable is---unless you mean a "bike" cable.

The original brock cable is just a "bike" cable. The springs on the engine side are only to put tension on the wire to keep the throttle from feeling spongy. Once check you have to do is to be able to actuate the throttle without the springs---if you can't your installation is hosed. If you have a carb with an accelerator pump---don't think this setup will work at all. The push-pull gives you positive actuation in both directions---and requires no springs.

For actuation of a rear throttle, you just need both the R/C and F/C throttle arms connected by a stiff rod---no cables. Go see the setup in many tandem aircraft.

Pull-pull is two cables, could be wires, where you basically have twin connections on opposite sides of the pivot axis on both the throttle and at the carb or fuel injection servo. It would not require springs to keep tension on a bike cable type installation. I have not seen one on an aircraft, but it is very common on post 80s motorcycles to use twin throttle cables, one to pull the throttle open and one to pull it closed. It would be a trivial exercise to modify the Brock throttle to be pull-pull, and the carb or fuel injection servo could be the same.

Kevin R. Walsh & Michael Antares

Cozy Mk-IV #413

N753CZ

Pull-pull is two cables, could be wires, where you basically have twin connections on opposite sides of the pivot axis on both the throttle and at the carb or fuel injection servo. It would not require springs to keep tension on a bike cable type installation. I have not seen one on an aircraft, but it is very common on post 80s motorcycles to use twin throttle cables, one to pull the throttle open and one to pull it closed. It would be a trivial exercise to modify the Brock throttle to be pull-pull, and the carb or fuel injection servo could be the same.

thats what is used on the stock landing brake actuator. it is two pull pull cables around a sheave

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years