Clark County seeks experimental aircraft ban

coolamber

Looks like Mr Randy Walker, director of the Clark County Dept of Aviation, has convinced the County to let him pursue his political agenda of controlling what aircraft are allowed to land at certain airports.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/35459794.html

also

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/1267-full.html#199330

This guy is not a friend to aviation, the owner of the FBO that I am training out of has nothing good to day about the guy.

<rant>

Personally I am pissed that my tax dollars go to pay for a tool like this guy. Take some responsibility for zoning housing off the departure ends of the runway instead of trying to ban a particular type of airplane, especially since 1 week later a certified twin crashed into a house near that same airport.

</rant>

"Experimental aircraft should no longer be allowed to take off and land at North Las Vegas Airport," Barlow said.

I disagree with this statement because it becomes the camel's nose under the tent. It will set a precedent and other airports will try to follow. However, what this does tell us is that we as test pilots need to be more wise about where to conduct our flight tests. Anyone that has seen this airport from the air knows that the city has surrounded it. I would never conduct my flight tests there.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

I would never conduct my flight tests there.

Agreed!

It seems that we as builders/test pilots need to exercise a dgree of 'common sense'.

I would have thought that the FAA/DAR would not have signed off on that being designated a test area. As a builder/owner that should be a red flag just as obvious as following bad instructions from the tower.

We (my EAA chapter) often ask for a larger test area which extends over large unpopulated areas. Surely with all the desert that exists in Nevada, that would have been a viable option.

I would agree that KVGT is not a suitable airport for aircraft that do not have their 40 hours flown off. Bad-dog on the FAA guy that signed off on that ........... but it's still G/A that gets bit by that dog. Lord help us if a group of county commisioners get the authority to start regulating airspace.:rolleyes:

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

That blows:mad: . Vote him out of office (assuming it's an elected position...)

Unfortunately it is not, he "tried" to quit a few years ago but was given a large raise to stay. Clark County is run by 7 elected individuals, they have no mayor. The individual cities have mayors but their power pales in comparison to the county's, the county is in charge of all of the airports with the exception of Boulder City, 61B.

Its also really irritating in that the news is already reporting that the two aircraft that went down within a week of one another were both experimental, when the second was a Twin Piper.:mad:

Flying off the 40 at this airport would not be the end of the world, but it

would establish a precedence which other airports might follow=not good.

It was unfortunate, tragic, a black eye to all GA aircraft. To single out

experimental aircraft as unsafe would be like declaring the FAA whom deem them safe for flight testing are unqualified as well. This guy has a bone to pick, wonder what he would say if a G5 went down in similar fashion? :irked:

Flying off the 40 at this airport would not be the end of the world, but it

would establish a precedence which other airports might follow=not good.

It was unfortunate, tragic, a black eye to all GA aircraft. To single out

experimental aircraft as unsafe would be like declaring the FAA whom deem them safe for flight testing are unqualified as well. This guy has a bone to pick, wonder what he would say if a G5 went down in similar fashion? :irked:

It did .... about 2 days later.

If they don't like the mess they created, they should pay to move the airport.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I wonder if that fellow has a few bull dozers itching to draw x's in his shed.....

Anyhow, can the county legaly ban certian classes of aircraft? Doesn't the FAA have a say in this?

What happens if an experimental needs to make a precautionary landing?

This is just not a good direction.

Those folks in the region that see the media making mistakes like the one mentioned above should speak out about it. No matter what the subject, when local news outlets bungle the facts it just grates me.:irked: They need to held accountable for mistakes (the corrections are never as exagerated as their inacuracies).

As long as that airport is getting federal dollars the faa tells them what the rules are. I think this guy is just trying to get press time for what ever reason. The Faa makes the rules at aiports not the politically motivated manager. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

As long as that airport is getting federal dollars the faa tells them what the rules are. I think this guy is just trying to get press time for what ever reason. The Faa makes the rules at aiports not the politically motivated manager. STeve build on

Steve,

I hope you are right...... That's what we said about our dear departated Meigs field.:mad:

It depends on the clout available.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D