Antenna cable entry into fuse

Cozy1200

I'll be putting the MB antenna in probably tomorrow or Friday.

I'm trying to decide where to have the coax enter the fuselage. Seeing that I've never wired radios on a cozy, I thought I would ask someone that has. So those that have done it, what does 20/20 hindsight suggest?

My thoughts so far. The connectors would be on the back of the radio that would be several inches forward of the IP. If I have the coax enter directly at the IP, then it would have to be routed up the IP, then forward till it reaches the back of the radio, then loop 180 degrees to plug into the back. So maybe enter just in aft of F-22 where it would be more of a straight shot into the radio? I guess that so far out, I'm not sure.

Just looking for advice, I realize that where-ever it enters, it can be routed later.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

mine came up aft f22 and floped around for 4065 days. mite try just forward of ip so you cold wire tie it to the ip temp so you could flip the bird and not stand on the cable or watch mico stick to it or the cat try to run off with it.

you are some what limited in placement by the way the foil lays out, but with a long drill i guess you could put it any wear the bit could reach

(wish id thought of that). go make a movie and let me screw stuff up so you don't have to !:P

Steve M. Parkins

I'll be putting the MB antenna in probably tomorrow or Friday.

I'm trying to decide where to have the coax enter the fuselage. Seeing that I've never wired radios on a cozy, I thought I would ask someone that has. So those that have done it, what does 20/20 hindsight suggest?

My thoughts so far. The connectors would be on the back of the radio that would be several inches forward of the IP. If I have the coax enter directly at the IP, then it would have to be routed up the IP, then forward till it reaches the back of the radio, then loop 180 degrees to plug into the back. So maybe enter just in aft of F-22 where it would be more of a straight shot into the radio? I guess that so far out, I'm not sure.

Just looking for advice, I realize that where-ever it enters, it can be routed later.

thats a long antenna. are you putting it on the bottom of the fuselage? if so do not put it to far forward where a nose gear up landing will sand it away

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

thats a long antenna. are you putting it on the bottom of the fuselage?

Well that is where RST recommends.

if so do not put it to far forward where a nose gear up landing will sand it away

The entire antenna would be on the tub, so a significant amount of the nose would have to be ground away before the antenna would be affected. Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

mine came up aft f22 and floped around for 4065 days.

That's the kind of stuff I'm after. I'm trying to avoid future conflict or routing issues. I expect to put the antenna under the passenger side, then rout a channel for the coax to where-ever I want it to enter the fuse.

Sorry no movies for a while. I like building too much.

---

---

Brace for impact...

the little toroids (times 3) are a little thicker then the foam in the bottom, if you had a spot..cut down into the floor so you will have them flush with the bottom. after i micro'ed mine the bump was gone, but i was worried that I'd cut it at some point of sanding. try placing the triodes over the lower longeron. there is lots of meat there .:grouphug:

Steve M. Parkins

Well, I installed two (MB and NAV) on the tub, but I ain't flying yet...

I understand the first leg from the foil should be straight and long as practical before any bend.

I ran the leg (after the bend) near the lower longeron, and punched through to the inside 6 or so inches forward of the IP. When the time comes, I can cover it with one ply BID, or a smear of silly-cone... I suspect feet may snag the cable when settling in for a flight.

Watch foam thickness, I nicked the inner glass routing the wire channel near the longeron.

My MB is on drivers side, NAV is on passengers.

FWIW, Shake before using, ...

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

I finally settled on bringing it inboard directly ahead of the IP on the pilot's side wall.

.... I suspect feet may snag the cable when settling in for a flight.

Agreed that was one of the factors of keeping it up close to the IP

Watch foam thickness, I nicked the inner glass routing the wire channel near the longeron.

Good point, but it wasn't a problem. I carefully dremeled near the Baluns to ensure the totally submerged. You can see the very top of them under the glass, but it's not a bump.

Thanks for the suggestions. In time, I'll get some pics posted on my website.

---

---

Brace for impact...