Headroom?

Bean Counter

I read on Aerocad's website that their canopy has 2" more headroom. Is that something the Cozy Mk IV is lacking?

I'm just about to buy the plans, but have never actually sat in one. How tall a pilot can comfortably fit?

If you can, do what I did when I bought plans. Take a road trip to Oshkosh (or similar event that's attended by canards, if another one is closer to where you live) and see if someone will let you sit in their Cozy. You will get the opportunity to meet a bunch of wonderful people from the canard community and see their nice planes, and the experience will inspire you for the build.

Joe Polenek

Joe

Cozy Mk IV #1550

I read on Aerocad's website that their canopy has 2" more headroom. Is that something the Cozy Mk IV is lacking?

I'm just about to buy the plans, but have never actually sat in one. How tall a pilot can comfortably fit?

there is a cozy IV at chino that has a 220 lbs. 6' 4" pilot. he moved the seat back 1 " and widened the fuselage 3" standard canopy. I am 6" and when I fly the aero canard it does seen to have a bit more head room then the stock cozy IV on the side but the head sets still hit the glass. I think the way to go is widen the fuselage 3-4" and use the aero canard canopy if you want max room. the width will slow down the top speed but still lets you cruse at 170 KTS like most cozy IV's. you will use a bit more RPM to get there.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Concerned me too, especially when I didn't fit very well into the first Cozy I saw. I made a chipboard mockup in my shed to investigate, check out the results in the link in my signature. Attached is me in a headset, with the Texas canopy mounted 1.75" high.

I'm 6'4" and will be building it light and standard.

post-451-141090162213_thumb.jpg

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

I concur..it looks like the Spod has been loopin' a few loops.=]

I would say go with the standard canopy and raise it 1 inch. Plenty of room sideways.

Less frontal area means a faster aircraft.

The Texas canopy looks like a behemoth of a bubble on the plane...REALLY BIG...

and for most probably isnt needed, if you just raise the plans canopy as described.

If you buy a clarity aloft headset [or make one as has been done successfully], you cant possibly have an issue with the sideways head turn..unless the wearer is a mellonhead.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Concerned me too, especially when I didn't fit very well into the first Cozy I saw. I made a chipboard mockup in my shed to investigate, check out the results in the link in my signature. Attached is me in a headset, with the Texas canopy mounted 1.75" high.

I'm 6'4" and will be building it light and standard.

can we get a shot befor you get smashed ?....lol

Steve M. Parkins

...pretty obvious you didn't adhere to the 8 hours from bottle to throttle...

Erm, that's actually what I look like completely straight, but at about midday after a night shift. No sleep since 2100 the night before... I had another night to follow, think of that when you book a flight on the red-eye:eek:

(p.s. Probably what I would look like on Sunday Drew...)

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane