fuselage sides inside layup complete

Completed the 2 layer uni layup last night. WOW, what a time consuming layup! I read in peoples web pages that it took them 7+ hrs to complete. It took me abut 8 hrs. My friend Gene came by to help with laying the cloth. we had quite a time keeping the edges of the cloth butted together while working out wrinkles and bubbles. My neck and back were killing me at the end of the layup. I finished at 2am this morning. I realized several hours later that I forgot to add the peel ply below the longerons. I believe I caught it in time. I used the hair drier and some extra epoxy to wet out the peel ply. Thank God for slow hardener! All in all it came out pretty good, but could have been better. I have a a couple of air bubbles in the fuel gauge and control stick depressions. I'll have to fill them. I'll get to the uni layup on the longerons this week.

post-5372-141090162194_thumb.jpg

post-5372-141090162201_thumb.jpg

post-5372-141090162204_thumb.jpg

post-5372-141090162208_thumb.jpg

post-5372-14109016221_thumb.jpg

Rob Wiehl

COZY MKIV #1521

last night I repaired the air bubbles using a syringe (sp?). What a neat process. Its like an air bubble eraser. :) I know its better to not have the bubbles in the first place, but its better than leaving them there. Today I removed the spacer boards between the longerons and cleaned up the surfaces of the longerons to prep them for glassing. I also pre cut the 8

4" layers of uni and rolled them up. I think I will attempt the plastic peel ply method on this one. More to come later this week......hopefully. :D

Rob Wiehl

COZY MKIV #1521

Thanks Phil. I try to get into the garage to do at least something every day. Even if it is just preping for the next step or organizing/staging materials. It keeps me motivated. The build process is very satisfying and rewarding.

Rob Wiehl

COZY MKIV #1521

G'day KillerB

I had the same problem with my lay-ups on the sides. I have not had the problem after I did my layups above 75 degrees. The materials in my case may have been under temp during cure. All my layups have been greatly improved after the material was at temp for 3 hours before layup and during cure. I did mine in a hanger in Jan in MD....Cold.

Keep it up! Much of the sides get cut for strakes/storage later. Keep up the good work.

Oh, be careful on your picture posts. I have stopped because several people write information that scared the hell out of my family. I was posting so friends and family around the world who said they wanted to be part of the project could see the progress and I could ask the folks here questions. Most of the replies here were GREAT, but I can think of Two by one person that almost caused so many problems at home that it bloody near caused a blue between the family. I have elected to not share pictures as general posts, but rather send them directly to several people that know the answers. I am only a few months ahead of you and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I may have already learned the lesson the hard way and have several ideas.

I discovered the side layups would have been easier if under the longerons a 45 degree timber was installed like the lower longeron. Glass does not like 90 degree corners. I just don't understand why the plans have not been changed. I also may only be crazy on this one too.

Hope to see you flying soon.

Jeff

JTest,

Judging from your greeting you are based in Aus?

Anyway, post your pictures ... more of us nice people like to see what you are doing than what actually critisize you ;)

Like everything on this electronic forum, you will soon learn whose advice you can trust ... mine you'll need salt, bags full :)

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

Thanks Phil. I try to get into the garage to do at least something every day. Even if it is just preping for the next step or organizing/staging materials. It keeps me motivated. The build process is very satisfying and rewarding.

That's what I try to do to. Last night I cut glass for the elevators during the intermissions in the hockey game! Penguins gave it a go, but the Red Wings were the better team. :cool2:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Oh, be careful on your picture posts. I have stopped because several people write information that scared the hell out of my family. I was posting so friends and family around the world who said they wanted to be part of the project could see the progress and I could ask the folks here questions. Most of the replies here were GREAT, but I can think of Two by one person that almost caused so many problems at home that it bloody near caused a blue between the family. I have elected to not share pictures as general posts, but rather send them directly to several people that know the answers.

JTest,

I remember awhile back that there was some concern with how your sides had been assembled to the bulkheads. Did it turn out that any changes were required with your assmebly? It looked like it needed fixing in the photos. Anyway, as long as you have people reviewed your photos who know what to look for, move ahead with that idea of not posting them. But... I think its good to get help here, and people reviewing all of our work is important.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

G'day KillerB

I discovered the side layups would have been easier if under the longerons a 45 degree timber was installed like the lower longeron. Glass does not like 90 degree corners. I just don't understand why the plans have not been changed. I also may only be crazy on this one too.

Hope to see you flying soon.

Jeff

yes, it would but the plans have you put a tube under there for the canopy lock under there.

change one thing........fix 10 more (ask me how i know)

in my ship that spot is all cut out up to the ip panal

Steve M. Parkins