Velocity Gear up landing?

Bruce

Saw this on the news yesterday. One station reported the gear was up when the pilot landed at Troutdale, Oregon and another reported it was a "hard" landing. Thankfully the pilot wasn't hurt.

http://www.katu.com/news/17240839.html

This link provides helicopter video.

http://www.kgw.com/video/video-index.html?nvid=232429

Bruce

Best regards,

Bruce Sturgill

http://www.pursuitofflight.com

Looks like it held up nicely I would like to see the underside.

If he had just forgot to "lower the gear" on a Cozy, he would only have road rash on the nose instead of his entire body. My 2 bits. I woundn't [sp intended] want to see his bottom...:( Is gonna need some plastic surgery from stem to stern.

To have a full RG widebody VeloXL, you gotta have some decent dough. I wonder why a really great pilot/professional type guy turns out to be "such a SLACKER pilotwise? Doesn't even deserve to be in a retract" plane.

Actually those aren't my words, just what has been verbalized before on this forum about anybody who forgets to put their nosegear or retracts down.

Ahem.

Flame suit on.

Had to be a heck-of-a sinking feeling as his sightline proceeded down to 2-1/2 feet and realized what he had forgot,and then heard the prop strike, fantastic grinding noises, and became an expensive bobsled. Dang.

I still agree with others on the odds being, its going to happen sometime to each of us.

It just has happened, to so many REALLY GOOD pilots.

Glad he's ok- just had to wring out his pants, thats all.;)

post-4661-141090160613_thumb.jpg

post-4661-141090160615_thumb.jpg

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

well, looks like yet another Velocity that will be for sale soon...........he.he.

Is there a lot of them for sale or something?

While Velo's are not my cup-o-tea, they are pretty nice machines. I wasn't aware they are changing hands en masse.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Wsa not aware of the practice. I see. Too bad they don't just repair and get it back in the air. Bill Oertell has quite the effort required on his. I looked at his plane and thought what a cool construction method, that an aircraft so ripped up, is SALVAGEABLE and can be made airworthy again...VERY ECO-COOL...

A spam can just gets 'totaled' and becomes aluminumb cans for its next life, if its lucky- or sits to rot out in a field of other debris aircraft.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Wsa not aware of the practice. I see. Too bad they don't just repair and get it back in the air. Bill Oertell has quite the effort required on his.

My impression is that its not about what's repairable. It about what the wife will sit in ever again.

It has got to be a sinking feeling no doupt. Then, once he's realized that he was safe, there has got to be another sinking feeling to go through damage assesment and the time needed to repair (if it can be).

My sympathies go out to this fellow.

Hope you get airborne again and soon.