Test Ez project Chapter 7

Jeff

I dont mean to worry you but do you have F22 around the wrong way ? Shouldn't the doubler be on the back ? :confused:

G'day

Good eye. I wished I would have seen that about four weeks ago....

Yes, I have a doubler on both sides of F22 now. I will trim the corners of the forward one down for the canard. :o

I sniffed a few to many fumes that day and mis-read (Doh!) the plans. Mid-week after the cure I noticed the problem (Doh doh doh...). :confused:

I made another doubler per earlier chapter; glassed and installed on the back (correct side) of F22. I then restrapped with BID. I wrapped the mess with plastic wrap, epoxy, and Flox. I then used clamps to install the second F22 doubler on the correct side. My bulkhead now has two doublers (tripler). As I said, I will need to trim the forward doubler to install the canard later. Microsoft calls this a service pack for an undocumented feature.:o

I will have a weight penalty in the nose area. I will have to start drinking diet beer.;)

Thanks for your comments and good eye. I didn't get the feedback for several days and the whole thing had cured. I would have damanged F22 in the removal and re-install process.

Jeff

:( ..... did the same thing myself. Got distracted and put it on backwards. Even with the Fein, there is no graceful way to remove it. I ended up using my skill saw with a carbide blade to get a clean edge again and made a new bulkhead. It was worth the effort.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

What is with the foam spacer between the fuse bottom and the nose gear cover? I do not recall that in the plans?

That is a mod to allow extra room for gear doors to close all the way. My advisor told me to not add more than 1 inch to the bottom because of the nose gear crank clearance. He said it was easier to correct now than wait until I discovered that when the nose wheel was retracted the doors didn't have room to close. I added some spare .999 inch foam.

I hope this helps.

Jeff :D

That is a mod to allow extra room for gear doors to close all the way. My advisor told me to not add more than 1 inch to the bottom because of the nose gear crank clearance. He said it was easier to correct now than wait until I discovered that when the nose wheel was retracted the doors didn't have room to close. I added some spare .999 inch foam.

I hope this helps.

Jeff :D

Understood. Except for how someone can measure and cuts foam to .001 precision! :)

Understood. Except for how someone can measure and cuts foam to .001 precision! :)

G'day

I use a simple seven step process that I have perfected.

Step 1 Measure with micrometer.

Step 2 Mark with a fine calk.

Step 3 Cut with a sharp axe.

Step 4 Beat or Sand to fit.

Step 5 Flox the gaps.

Step 6 Paint to match.

(Optional) Step 7(a) Determine it is backwards. Yell "F**K ME TO TEARS!"

Step 7 Drink a Beer. Think what to do next.

Hope this helps. Feel free to use the system anytime.

Jeff

I can now say I'm an experienced builder so I'll give some good advice....

Step 5 in some cases micro can be used as a lighter alternative to flox. You can also use a precision Sharpie pen for step 2 and a precision hand saw for step 3.

There are no mistakes in composite building, only delays. :D