fibreglass i choose

tomwang

help!

i choose

saint-gobain 4 axial knitted 1150g/m2 for fuselage skin with 2cm foam

+-45degree 450g/m2 for wing skin

This may be OK for the fuselage but not for the wings. on the wing the uni fibers are aligned from corner to corner. this is a lot steeper span wise angle then 45 degrees.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

• 4 weeks later...

thanks!

I fogot to tell you that I wanted to build a canard without special supplier,so I have to calculate and choose almost everything by myself.I ill post foam, landing gear(modifing) ,engine(converting),prop(under construction),etc on individual post.

here, I list all the type of fibreglass I have got.

EKU 1250g/m2 uni

EKB 800g/m2 +-45 degree

EKB 600g/m2 0,90 degree

EKB 450g/m2 +-45 degree

EKQ 1150g/m2 0,90,+45,-45 degree

EKQ 800g/m2 0,90,+45,-45 degree

EKT 1750g/m2 0,90,+45 degree

thank you again for your patient and glad to receive your idea and help.

Tom Wang

China

email:tomwang2k2@yahoo.com

I was not able to find the Saint-Gobain cloth on an English-language website. The canard is a very high stress part. Try to use the same type of fiberglass cloth specified in the plans. Otherwise the canard will be too heavy or too weak. The fuselage and bulkheads are not so critical

We measure cloth in ounces per yard so you will get more help if you convert g/m2 into ounces

Rutan BID is 8.8 oz., UNI is 7 oz. See:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/rutan.php

This is Hexcel fiberglass cloth or equivalent. The specifications for the cloth are here:

http://www.hexcel.com/Products/Downloads/Fabrics+Data+Sheets.htm?map=P1&t=Fiberglass+Data+Sheets

Good luck. Get your order in to the Cozzygirls for the canard hardware. Some if it is tricky to make from plans.

-Kent

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

• 2 weeks later...

thanks a lot! I still need help to go ahead.

1. can you tell me your fiberglass cloth specified in the plans and how many plies used in each part of you canard like wing skin, canard skin, spar cap, etc.

2.can anyone help me to design my main wing spar and canard wing spar and caculate the stress and help me to decide which fibreglass will be use in some crutial part construction like the wing spar etc.

Tom Wang

China

email:tomwang2k2@yahoo.com

Tom,

I see that you are trying to design a canard airplane. A brave project but I would not re-invent the wheel. A set of plans would save you much time and effort. Any canard plans set will answer and give engineered methodology to the questions you are asking and get you much closer to your goals safely.

Best wishes, Sam

• 2 months later...

EKU 1250g/m2 uni

EKB 800g/m2 +-45 degree

EKB 600g/m2 0,90 degree

EKB 450g/m2 +-45 degree

EKQ 1150g/m2 0,90,+45,-45 degree

EKQ 800g/m2 0,90,+45,-45 degree

EKT 1750g/m2 0,90,+45 degree

I'm tempted to say that this glass is all way too heavy.

E.g. 1250g/m2 is approximately (1250/30)*0.8 = 33 ounces/square yard.

Even the biaxial cloth (which could be considered two uni layers stitched together) is much heavier than the recommended glass, apart from likely differences in weave, filament diameter and surface treatment/sizing.

I'm tempted to say that this glass is all way too heavy.

E.g. 1250g/m2 is approximately (1250/30)*0.8 = 33 ounces/square yard.

Even the biaxial cloth (which could be considered two uni layers stitched together) is much heavier than the recommended glass, apart from likely differences in weave, filament diameter and surface treatment/sizing.

I was also looking at these figures. I struggle with conversion myself since g/m2 is the way we measure in Norway. I made a simple spreadsheet for myself so I easely can convert between the different formats. I have these values for the recommended cloths:

Uni: 7 oz/sq.yd = 237 g/m2

Bid: 8,8 oz/sq.yd = 298 g/m2

Tape: 22 oz/sq.yd = 7465 g/m2

Erlend Moen
Norway
Cozy MK IV #1556 - Chapter 16
http://cozy.ljosnes.no