Longerons and doublers

antonio4231

Ok, I have had a few days off and have spent some of that time making parts. (photo's to follow soon, when I remember to get a battery for my digital camera) I have a newby question to ask. Can the doublers for the upper longeron be glued on before they are installed in the fusalage? Can the lwx and lwy sub-assemblies be glued up also? I'm thinking that I can do a better job of clamping and gluing before they are installed. Also while I am on the subject, Does anyone have an issue with using Gorilla glue to join the wooden elements. I know that the strength of any good glue should exceed the tear out strength of the wood itself, ( the wood shoulud fail before the glue joint). Thanks for any feedback. Oh, by the way I got my plans printed at Staples on their machine set up for mechanical drawings, less than 25 bucks for the whole set ( checked and the measurements are correct ). While there I also picked up an engineers scale that is broken down in tenths of an inch.

... Also while I am on the subject, Does anyone have an issue with using Gorilla glue to join the wooden elements...

It was against my better judgement too, but I think epoxy is the best choice here.

Wood glues dry flexible, some more than others. Epoxy will cure hard (some may say brittle), but it will hold the longerons to shape much better than most 'wood' glues will. I had almost *no* springback when I removed my longerons (for a Cozy) from the jigs, I really expected more... much more. It's your plane though ;)

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Can the doublers for the upper longeron be glued on before they are installed in the fusalage?

Well, I think thats what the plans say to do, isn't it? Figure 3 shows them attached while still in the jigs.

Can the lwx and lwy sub-assemblies be glued up also?

I don't think so... you position these based on measurments taken off the fuselage sides. I'm sure everyone's are a little different from each other. The glued angle may be off if you pre-glue these pieces.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem