Jig,templates

Hans S

Hans, Look here: http://www.cozybuilders.org/cad_files/ under chapter 19 you'll find John Epplin's contact info at the bottom of this page http://www.cozybuilders.org/cad_files/COZYMKIV_Steel_Wing_Template_Usage.pdf

IICR, Normam Muzzy was the keeper of the templates but I don't know of any wing jigs that are available, someone else might.

Regards,

Jason T Heath

MarkIV #1418

heathjasont@yahoo.com

Does anyone have a set of already made jigs and templates for wings I can borrow?

Do you really plan on building your wings first? Unless you've already built a composite aircraft, I suggest sticking to the plans build order. At least do chapters 1-4, and then do a reality check.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I'd tend to agree with Jon, taking it further and say that you should get as far as building the tub through the end of chapter 7. While there are those that have done it otherwise you will have a much better skill set by that time.

It has always been a tradition in Exp aircraft building that you would build the empennage first..oh yeah real airplane parts! that would motivate people and they were simple enough to do on -any-other-kind-of-aircraft.

I heard it told that early on this was what was done with the Vari-eze and resulted in a lot of condemmed canard airfoils.

The plans are structured in such an order that they incrementally ratchet up your skillset and you have the knowledge and experience by the time you move on to the next step.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

While I haven't built an aircraft, I have built boats, one off fairings for motorcycles, car hoods/scoops. I'm building the wings first as I haven't decided about some of the mods I am going to make to the fuse/strakes. I want to get started nontheless. For me, seeing complete "big parts" done would be a motivator, the little stuff is to easily hidden. I'm not really picky, I'd do the canard if someone had those templates/jigs instead, just not the fuselage. The two car garage is my "man room" so storage is not a problem.

Sorry, I don't have any jigs or templates.

While I haven't built an aircraft, I have built boats, one off fairings for motorcycles, car hoods/scoops

Its good that you have lots of fiberglass experience, because just the foam for the wings is almost $700. The canard is more than $200 in foam. Shipping is high for this foam too... it might be worth a drive for you.

I really was glad that on Chapter 4, it would've been hard ruin alot of material worth a lot of money. I appreciate how the bulkheads were flat, and let me see my mistakes and easily correct them. I'm just finishing Chapter 5, so I'm still just getting the hang of this, but Chapter 5 would've been a very tough way to start the build (for me).

For me, seeing complete "big parts" done would be a motivator, the little stuff is to easily hidden.

I also like to have big stuff. I told my neighbor that the fuselage sides I just finished were the wings... he doesn't like them.:bad:

Good luck with wings and all!

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Hans:

I hope you realize that you will be storing your wings for up to 6 years or more. They will get bumped and dinged They take up a lot of room. If you put your winglets on they take up even more room. I built a Longeze in a large 2 car garage. I did not have room to store the wings in the garage and still work on the plane. They spent 2 years outside on the back porch covered with a tarp. Just something to think about. Big cool airplane parts for your buddies to look at are cool but storing them with your build takes up valuable building space. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Hans,

I am nearly finished with the spar, and have ordered the wing cores from Steve at Eureka. Did you have any success in locating wing templates in Florida? I am about 60 miles East of you (just west of Orlando), and will have to start on the templates, but would prefer to use tested and accurate ones that have worked for someone.

Are you building your own or did you find some?

David Pierce

Chapter 14, Plans 1068

Montverde, Florida

• 4 weeks later...

I frankly think building wings makes a lot of sense - if you can do it nicely.

We developed a way to use only 3 jigs, the jigs are actually not exactly right in the first place. Contact me off line for the way to build with some aluminum extrusions instead.

The reason I like building wings first is two fold.

One, if you get bogged down in the project you can get Long EZ projects up to wings pretty easily and then add yours to theirs.

Second, if you decide to give up, provided again you have good wings, you can sell them anywhere. People damage finished wings and canard over the years.

I run the lists of things for sale and there are a lot of projects without wings for sale, wings are hard to find.

Beagle