aerobatics?

renodare

Dear Members,

I own a Varieze, and I watched a video of Dick Rutan doing some accrobatics, does somebody knows about making those maneuvers, does somebody knows about pilots that does some, etc...

Well anything related to the subject aerobatics and canards would interest me. Fly safe Guys.

Acrobatics are NOT possible with any EZ type. There's just not enough room for a running start to launch yourself into the air. ;)

Aerobatics on the other hand...

:)

not eze for the pilot but wait until you see some of the Acrobatics that will be performed buy the back seat passengers. Who said you need a running start? how about standing in the back seat you put your hands on the strake and then do a front flip over the strake landing on the ground just in time to catch the canard as the rebound from the back spring is causing the airplane to tip over backwards, while all the time looking very cool and that you planed it that way, while not even loosing his hat. remember as the pilot you are responsible for the passengers all the way to the ground and how they achieve that. even if they are only 10 years old. when asked how he did that he replyed I could do a back flip also, would you like to see me? of course we said no, we had allready seen him do that the week before.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

• 2 months later...

Methinks that aerobatics executed in a LongEze (saw this at Osh 1994) were the most elegant flying that I had seen, since seeing a display by a glider!

Yeah, the Pitts does it differently, but that sort of extreme flying does not intrigue me :)

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

• 5 months later...

What a pity, and here I thought someone said something interesting ...

So, I'll pose a question:

How does one execute a barrel roll in a canard type plane?

What are the actions?

If able, get someone to show you how to do this: I can show you in two minutes, and have you successfully do it.

First, make sure you have plenty of altitude (8-10,000 agl, YES that high), because the first time you try this your going to fall out of the top and scare the living bejibers out of yourself as your pointing toward the ground and quickly building up speed.

Second, If you pencil whipped flutter testing during phase one, then do not perform this maneuver, (See item # 1). Go back and perform flutter testing the way its supposed to be done, then replacard the aircraft accordingly.

Third, Verify your CG. weight and balance. DO NOT operate past the aft limit.

Fourth, In the US, make a note in your log book that you are returning to Phase-One to perform aerobatic evaluations and testing. This makes you legal.

OK, Put on your parachute, climb to the test altitude.

Do a couple practices first, to about a 45 degree climb.

Lightly push the nose over to build up to 160 kts. Pull back and hold the stick with about 2 g's. When the aircraft is 45 degrees, push the nose back to straight and level, you'll probably go ZERO gs for a few seconds. You should have about 140 kts at this point.

When your comfortable with this, continue to the actual roll.

As you reach 45 degrees, This will require coordinated controls:

Start easing up on the aft stick, quickly (but gentle) apply full left stick and start putting in full left rudder, at the same time continue pushing the nose down as the aircraft goes inverted.

If coordinated correctly, the plane will be straight and level, while inverted, and you'll be pushing the stick forward as you continue the roll.

NOTE - If you have inverted oil and fuel systems, this is a good place to fly inverted, with an indicated airspeed of about 130 kts, and a deck angle about -25 degrees, holding strong nose down on the stick.

As the aircraft continues to roll start easing the stick back to the straight and level position.

After a little practice, you should be at the exact same altitude and heading that you started from.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Thanks for talking me thru this, I can now form a mental picture.

Since I'm still in the test phase, I'll stay there & get my friend with the LongEze to demonstrate this a few times ... he does it every single time he takes to the air. :)

If able, get someone to show you how to do this: I can show you in two minutes, and have you successfully do it.

First, make sure you have plenty of altitude (8-10,000 agl, YES that high), because the first time you try this your going to fall out of the top and scare the living bejibers out of yourself as your pointing toward the ground and quickly building up speed.

Waiter

:ROTFLMAO:Thanks Waiter, a Velo friend of mine described trying a loop in exactly these terms... it worked out, so it's quite funny... now... it took a few weeks to get to funny, though. Be careful out there, folks.

B

---

Brett Ferrell

Velocity XL/FG

Cincinnati, OH

http://www.velocityxl.com

The problem most people have is not enough airspeed to maintain level flight while inverted. (hence falling out at the top of the roll). If you don't have enough airspeed, the roll quickly turns into a downward spiral.

I've found I can maintain level inverted flight, but I need at least 130 kts and full nose down (forward) stick.

I'll take a inclinameter with me next time I do this, but I'm guessing the deck angle is probably around -20 degrees to hold level flight.

Waiter

There was this feller doing aerobatics in a Long/VariEze at Osh many years ago (1994). he did loops too.

IIRC, Sport Aviation had an article on the man, they stated that the plane was stock standard ...

So what would have been his entry speed for that gracefull loop?

Almost identical to the roll,

Instead of starting with a 2 g pullup, you need to be more aggressive, with an initial 3 g pullup. Then instead of putting in aileron and rudder, keep pulling the stick back.

Again - READ my first post items 1 - 4.

Waiter.

Waiter, thanks for the pointer.

But these maneuvers, are they limited to certain canards? I read in another thread that the Long-EZ could perform them, but the Cozy could not because of the wider fuselage?

I've never flown a Covy IV, but I see no reason why not. Entry speeds may be different, but it should be do-able.

Waiter