Houston Area Builders

bobmane

I've recently started building a long EZ in Houston area. If there are any builders out there in this area, I'd be interested in contacting you for some advice. My project is mostly completed through the landing brake but need some advice on installing linear actuator rather than the mechanical.

bobmane

I have seen some people are putting linear actuators rated for 100 lbs and 4 inch strokes. I see the mechanical version is closing at 95kts which i believe is 40 lbs at 16 inches. This will require 270 lbs at the attach point. Either my calculations are incorrect or I need to know if the 100 lbs force is adequate? I would also like to know of a good make model and supplier for the actuator.

thanks for your response.

bobmane

I couldn't be much closer. I live in Sagemont at BW-8 and I-45 (went to Dobie HS a lifetime ago)....my brother lives in Friendswood. I am building my Velocity SE w/ a rotary engine at Ellington and I am president of the local EAA Houston; Chapter 12. Our monthy meeting is tonightg at Southwest Services at Ellington at about 6:30 ish to 7:00pm

Let me know if I can help.

All the best,

Chris Barber

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

• 3 months later...

I am in "pre" Clear Lake. About one or two exits before Clear Lake "proper". Clear Lake is a really nice area. Our EAA chapter meeting is the first Wednesday of the month and as timing would have it the coming meeting for Oct has me doing a brief presentation of the rotary engine. Meetings are at the Southwest Services FBO and start at about 7:00 pm.

Also, the big Wings Over Houston airshow is coming up. On the first day of the airshow (Oct 6 IIRC) we are opening up our hangar (Alpha Papa) for folks to get out of the sun and hang out (some food and beverage may be available too). Both my Velocity and my hangar mates VariEZ (he is restoring a once flying plane, I am finished with the airframe of a new build and working on the engine....even though a recent back injury at work as slowed me down the last few weeks).

You still need to pay to get in the airshow (but the Ron Carter car dealership usually has a number of free tickets available)

Our hangar overlooks the main flight line and you should be able to see the EAAHouston.com banner hanging from the top of out hangar.

Also, Bob Knucklos of the AeroElectric Connection will be presenting his seminar for electronics for amature built and maintaine aircraft on Oct 27 & 28 (Sat and Sun). Workshop cost is $150.00 but should be well worth it. You can register at http://aeroelectric.com/seminars/Houston.html or more info on the workshop is at http://www.aeroelectric.com/seminars/seminars.html

Hope to see ya at one or all the events.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

.... Our EAA chapter meeting first Wednesday of month ... meeting for Oct has me doing a brief presentation of the rotary engine. Meetings are at the Southwest Services FBO and start at about 7:00 pm.

Hope to see ya at one or all the events.

Chris

Sir, I live in Brownsville, TX and am SERIOUSLY interested in building an EZE-type plane.

I start flying lessons next week (if my future instructor returns from Las Vegas).

I would like to attend your next EAA-chapter meeting, if visitors are welcome.

If so, could you please give me a specific address for the meeting place? (navigation system wants specific)

And if I could impose even more, could you recommend a decent motel close to the meeting place?

I would need to over-night in Houston, it's a long drive back to the valley.

Thank you for any help you can give me in this.

ErnestG

(my first post, just registered.)

I am an engineering student up at A&M and have a senior class project where I chose to do a finite element model of the long-ez main landing gear. I am looking for more information on how the stock gear are built-up from glass and dimensions. Does it start over foam or some light tubing?

I also wanted to ask about what kind of deflections you see in the gear after all weight is on the frame?

Thanks

• 10 months later...