fuselage sides

jany77

hi guys i have guestion about laying the fuselage sides ,the manual say lay on flat table but in next chapter is drawing which shows front and back side narrower than rest of bulkheads so im trying find out what to do with this i bought fuselage with couple of parts from guy next door hanger for free ill use just some parts but want make new fuselage and im not sure is after cure can the sides be bended to proper shape thanks for responses

hi guys i have guestion about laying the fuselage sides ,the manual say lay on flat table but in next chapter is drawing which shows front and back side narrower than rest of bulkheads so im trying find out what to do with this i bought fuselage with couple of parts from guy next door hanger for free ill use just some parts but want make new fuselage and im not sure is after cure can the sides be bended to proper shape thanks for responses

Why don't you tell us something about yourself and what kind of airplane you're building (there are several canard versions)? If you're building a Long-EZ, the plans call for a simple jig on the work table to give curvature to the sides. If you don't have Long-EZ plans, they're available on a "TERF" CD. Search this site and the site below for TERF or "open EZ".

http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net/

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I'm a Cozy builder but I looked at my Long-EZ plans and it looks like you're right--I didn't see any jig shown for giving curvature to the sides.

But . . . the cozys use a simple jig, two long pieces of particle board cut to the curvature of the sides and bonded to the work table. The foam sides get weighted into the shape of the curve and temporarily hot-glued in place, then the inside glass and longerons are installed. I'm sure you can find some pictures in the builder pages at

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/main

It'd be easy to take width measurements off the EZ bulkheads and make a similar jig to give shape to the sides. You might want to add a couple inches to the back seat width while you're at it.

(Nat added a lot of tips and info in the Mark IV plans.)

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

For the Long-EZ:

After laying out the dimensions and sanding the depressions in the side of the fuselage, you glass the inside of the fuselage sides only (chapter 5, steps 1 & 2).

With the foam sides glassed on the inside only, you can easily bend them enough to mate up with the bulkheads. Once the sides and bulkheads are bonded together (chapter 6 step 1), you carve the outside of the fuselage to shape and then glass it (chapter 6 steps 2 and 3).

The Cozy, E-Racer and other side by side designs use a jig to build in the curvature of the fuselage as it is a more severe curve and some "pre bending" of the foam is desired before glassing the inside. This technique could be used for the Long-EZ but is not required.

Rick Pellicciotti

Belle Aire Aviation, Inc.

http://www.belleaireaviation.com