Build wings first?

velocity dreamer

I am wanting to start on my wings first. I look in the plans and it states styrofoam cores and calls for 2lb/ft^3 7 in thick. looking on wicks in styrofoam they have the 2lb/ft but the max width is 4in, They do have the polystyrene foam that is 1.6 lb/ft^3 7 in thick and match the other dimentions as well. Has anyone heard if this 1.6 is acceptable or do I need to glue 2 styrofoam blocks together. Ive read through alot of the newsletters and seen changes in the other foams but didnt see any for the wings.

I hope to build me a workshop this summer and get started this winter.

Lynn

I am wanting to start on my wings first.

If you've never worked with composites before, I strongly suggest you do a few other chapters before hitting the sensitive/important parts. With that said, I'll try to answer your other questions.

Has anyone heard if this 1.6 is acceptable...

The 1.6 foam should work fine -- I think that's what I ended up getting from Wicks as well -- but I'm no authority. Decide for yourself based on further research. The Open-EZ is built with the same exact materials as the Long-EZ.

...or do I need to glue 2 styrofoam blocks together.

Check the plans... you'll have to glue a bunch of styrofoam blocks together to get the dimensions needed for the wings and canards.

Ive read through alot of the newsletters and seen changes in the other foams but didnt see any for the wings.

Sounds right, but be sure to read through ALL the Canard Pusher articles to verify your plans are up-to-date and accurate.

I hope to build me a workshop this summer and get started this winter.

Go go go!

I may have answered my own question. Reading a little more into the discription of wicks it states on the polystyrene that it was originaly used in the VE and LE aircraft. Im going to assume for now that that means Vereze and longeze. please inform me if im wrong.

Sounds good, except for your mutilation of spelling for VariEze and Long-EZ. :)

Do the bulkheads first. They store easily and train you on the procedures. Skipping after that is less risky, but still a jump. If you must jump, consider building the canard before the main wings.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Unless you already possess the skills needed to perform this task (working with composite materials), I would highly recommend following the basic sequence of the original plans.

The construction sequence is laid out so you build non critical components first. This allows you to practice and acquire skills that will be needed later for the more critical parts.

One of the skills that I learned is, "What is acceptable, and what is not". A bulkhead that is later rejected because its to dry or to heavy is considerably less expensive that a wing that is rejected for the same reasons.

Also, the hot wiring skill that is learned when building the canard, will pay dividents when performing this same task on the much larger (and more expensive) wing components.

Good luck, and by all means, enjoy the build.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

sorry about the spelling. I wanted to start on the wings because I cant figure out what I want to do with the fuselage. I cant decide to widen it or not. I fit into a VariEze ok but a inch or so wider would be nice to. I also would like to possibly put a deltahawk engine on it and want to wait on doing the firewall till I know what kind of bracket I need and how to attach it.

I still have a few more weeks to think about it but I want to get started asap and not keep putting it off till I decide what I want.

Lynn

Velocity dreamer

definitely follow the advise given to you. Without a doubt, if you are new to laying up fiberglass, I strongly recommend you start with the fuse. Your going to be very upset if you build a wing or two and find out you did it wrong, that is a sure fire way to get you divorced or worse buying an RV kit :D (that was really funny):D You can make your fuse wider you won't regret it. It's nice to have a little extra room for those big coats during winter flying. Also think about this, if you ever find yourself in the backseat of your own airplane the extra inches bak there will really come in handy. I fit very well in the back seat of my Long with just 2in wider than stock. I can't fit in the back of a stock Long Ez my shoulders are far to wide. Just trying to help you along here. You have alot of work in front of you. you'll have plenty of time to get stuck on other issues. One last thing if you are going to use a heavier engine you might want to consider stretching the fuse from the front seat bulkhead to the rear seat bulkhead. I streched mine 6in" it helps with W&B and gives TGIB a little more leg room.

Good Luck

Tony