Shipping Materials Overseas / HAZMAT / ORM-D

CFernandez

I

I am looking forward to getting started on my Cozy. [Once I figure out how to get HAZMAT shipped to Hawaii.]

What HAZMAT are you referring to? The epoxy? Find one that can be shipped as an ORM-D. That would be your best bet as the regs are a little less restrictive.

My $.02

Carlos Fernandez

AeroCanard FG

Plans #206

Chp. 13

aerocanard.kal-soft.com

Sales & Support

GRT Avionics

So far all I know is the ezpox cannot be shipped to hawaii. Not sure what ORM-D is..I need to do some homework.

Tried to order a basic composite learning kit and was going to be charged 75 extra dollars per HAZMAT item.

Any idea what type of epoxy can be shipped with no additional HAZMAT fee?

Matt

Still looking for a builder on Oahu I can learn from.

Not sure what ORM-D is..I need to do some homework.

ORM-D stands for Other Regulated Material-D. It allows for shipping HAZMAT under less restrictive exceptions. (I ran a HAZMAT packaging test lab for 5 years if you were wondering why one would know this stuff.)

Any idea what type of epoxy can be shipped with no additional HAZMAT fee?

You may want to contact PTM&W and ask about their Aeropoxy products because their epoxy falls under the ORM-D exception. There are other details in the exceptions like quantity and mode of transport but I'm sure they can tell you what you need to know about getting it shipped to you. Their number is 800-421-1518. I use the 2032 Resin with the 3665 Hardener.

Hope this helps.

Carlos Fernandez

AeroCanard FG

Plans #206

Chp. 13

aerocanard.kal-soft.com

Sales & Support

GRT Avionics

Carlos,

Do you know what other systems or components fall under ORM-D? I've seen the designation on boxes before, but have to admit ignorance on the subject. I'm curious as to what it takes to get fall under this classification for shipping.

I had an e-mail conversation with Gary Hunter about various epoxy systems, and the one that he uses has much higher specs than Aeropoxy or MGS. I found a few vendors that sell the resin from his system with no special requirements, but they'll refuse to ship the hardener, and require you to pick it up at their door. For general info, he uses EPON 862 resin with EpiCure 3234 hardener, generically known as TETA (can't remember the chemical name right now). This system has low viscosity, but a relatively short pot life (~25 minutes)

-- Len

-- Len Evansic, Cozy Mk. IV Plans #1283

Do you need a Flightline Chair, or other embroidered aviation accessory?

Carlos,

Do you know what other systems or components fall under ORM-D? I've seen the designation on boxes before, but have to admit ignorance on the subject. I'm curious as to what it takes to get fall under this classification for shipping.

I know EZ84 does not fall under ORM-D. My friend, Andy, asked how he could get rid of the HAZMAT charges, but it is a poison so no ORM-D on that one. If you can get the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) it will most likely have the Dept. of Transportation (DOT) shipping information on it. The shipping information will have everything you need to ship the product.

Depending on what the material is and how it is shipped determines if it can be classified as ORM-D. I would need to see the MSDS to tell you if a material falls under ORM-D.

(The regs are in 49CFR if you like that kind of literature.:scared:)

Carlos Fernandez

AeroCanard FG

Plans #206

Chp. 13

aerocanard.kal-soft.com

Sales & Support

GRT Avionics

I'm looking at the MSDS for the epoxy hardener that I now plan on using and it says:

SECTION 14. TRANSPORT INFORMATION

DOT : UN/NA-No 2259

Class 8

Packing group II

ERG No. 153

Proper shipping name TRIETHYLENETETRAMINE

I don't see ORM-D or anything similar. Could this be shipped ORM-D? The rest of the MSDS appears relatively benign compared to say the MSDS for Aeropoxy's or MGS's hardeners.

-- Len

I did more research, and found that all epoxy curing agents fall under a DOT Class 8 (corrosives), and the only difference I found (ignoring chemical composition) is that some fall in packaging group II, while others fall into group III.

One web site said that this deals with the size of internal packaging with III allowing larger bottles than II, but this was also dependent on what the class and specific material is. This brings me back to having no clue about what all of this means...

-- Len

I don't see ORM-D or anything similar. Could this be shipped ORM-D?

-- Len

(If you want a lesson in reading the 49CFR let me know and I'll run through it with you.):P

The HAZMAT Table in 49CFR has an exception that allows it to be shipped without placarding if shipped in inner containers .3 gallons or less in strong outer packaging. (If it does not have a subsidary classification of 6.1, PG II, Poison.)

Additionally, if it meets the definition of "Consumer Commodity" it may be reclassified as ORM-D and labeled as such if it meets the above requirements.

Depending on how you buy this material (quantity per container) it may/may not fall under ORM-D.

Carlos Fernandez

AeroCanard FG

Plans #206

Chp. 13

aerocanard.kal-soft.com

Sales & Support

GRT Avionics

This brings me back to having no clue about what all of this means...

-- Len

Unless you plan to ship this stuff you really don't need to worry about it. (If you do plan to ship HAZMAT (epoxy) make sure you get help with the regs and packaging. DOT doesn't like it when someone ships HAZMAT and it leaks on the way.)

The people who ship this material are the ones who need to know, unless you want a really dry, meaningless hobby.:scared: .

(I actually enjoyed reading the regs.) It's like a maze.

Carlos Fernandez

AeroCanard FG

Plans #206

Chp. 13

aerocanard.kal-soft.com

Sales & Support

GRT Avionics

I'm curious about the shipping, because the place I'm looking to buy from won't ship this material, and requires you to pick it up at their facility. I don't want to drive to Indiana, so I'm trying to determine what amount they can legally ship to me. I found another vendor in Connecticut, but again, I don't want to drive there either.

-- Len

I ordered about 2 gallons worth of MGS 285 about six months ago with slow and fast hardener and it was shipped ORM-D and shipping was not expensive. This order was from ACS and shipped within CA. Maybe ORM-D means to treat it roughly, because the box was ripped and broken apart when it arrived. The epoxy was lucky to have stayed inside! But, it made it and it was cheap.

I went to order another gallon today with a can of slow and fast hardener. I notice there are now hazardous item icons all over the online order screen for each of these. So, I called them up.

The lady on the phone said that hazardous item charges can be avoided for my items if less than 4 liters is shipped. So, I placed the order and asked them to split the order if needed to avoid hazardous item charges.

Later, I get an email from ACS saying that the resin and fast hardener can be shipped without hazardous charges. However, the slow hardener is special and hazardous charges apply in any quantity.

Anyway, this entire shipping classification issue is confusing and I get different answers from different people. I'll have to remember to stock up next time I drive down to LA.

So, did I just get lucky the first time, or has something changed?

I'm curious about the shipping, because the place I'm looking to buy from won't ship this material, and requires you to pick it up at their facility.

Ask them why they won't ship it. They probably aren't setup to ship small quantities (have boxes and labels, etc.) They probably just don't want to deal with the headache if the volume is small.

I'm using Aeropoxy for this very reason, I didn't want to pay the extra charges. My buddy using EZpoxy, I figure I get a free gallon of Aeropoxy for every one purchased.

So, did I just get lucky the first time, or has something changed?

I don't know how MGS resin and hardener is classified. If anyone was lucky it was ACS if it was shipped improperly.

Carlos Fernandez

AeroCanard FG

Plans #206

Chp. 13

aerocanard.kal-soft.com

Sales & Support

GRT Avionics

• 1 month later...

Apparently MGS 285 slow hardener has been reclassified, as far as it's DOT shipping hazards status. It is no longer classified as a Class 8 (corrosive), package class III (ORM-D possible) material. Now it is a Class 6 (poison), package class I (very dangerous - expensive to ship) material. What changed? I'm not sure, but this is something that should be considered.

As far as I know, the fast 285 hardener is still a Class 8, package III material, but this might change.

-- Len

Now it is a Class 6 (poison), package class I (very dangerous - expensive to ship) material. What changed? I'm not sure, but this is something that should be considered.

-- Len

I think I said it in one of the threads recently. I use Aeropoxy because its "approved" and I don't pay the extra hazmat charges which are close to the cost of a gallon of epoxy. I don't have stock with Aeropoxy but maybe I should...:D

I just don't see the point in paying the hazmat charges if I can get an "approved" epoxy without them.

Carlos Fernandez

AeroCanard FG

Plans #206

Chp. 13

aerocanard.kal-soft.com

Sales & Support

GRT Avionics

I'm curious about the shipping, because the place I'm looking to buy from won't ship this material, and requires you to pick it up at their facility. I don't want to drive to Indiana, so I'm trying to determine what amount they can legally ship to me. I found another vendor in Connecticut, but again, I don't want to drive there either.

-- Len

Indiana?

Where in Indiana?

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...