Engine weights

Hi,

Looking at all the various engine options out there is starting to make my head spin. While an automotive diesel engine is the most appealing, I'd rather be first to follow than on the "bleeding edge" :)

What I'm looking for is the dry weights of various engines. Can anyone help out with the following weights?

Lycoming O-360 (or equivalent)

Lycoming O-540

Mazda 13b Rotary

BMW 330d

Volvo D5

Subaru WRX 2.5

Toyota Avensis 2.2l D-4D engine

Thanks

Soosh

• 2 years later...

In trying to research a lot of the newer auto engines, I found that manufacturer info hardly ever list weight, in fact specs are far from standard. It's just not that important to auto people like it is to us aero people.

I found a few engine weight lists out there though. You would have to look to the references to find details on exactly what was weighted - as in dry, wet, installed, etc, but these lists give some useful baseline information that can be found on the web.

1. http://www.bacomatic.org/~dw/library/txt/engfyi.htm

2. http://www.team.net/sol/tech/engine.html

3. http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/engineweights.html

Since I am using your post topic here are some answers from the lists:

Lycoming O-360 (or equivalent)

Lycoming O-540 - 515 lb (1,3)

Mazda 13b Rotary - 260 lb (1,3)

BMW 330d

Volvo D5

Subaru WRX 2.5

Toyota Avensis 2.2l D-4D engine

that gives you two answers anyway. It looks like new data is hard to some by, the most current reference I saw is from 2004. Time to hit the public library.

refs 1 and 3 appear to be duplicates of each other, with ref 1 parsed a little better.

I don't know what iteration of the 540 you 'found', but a narrow deck- parallel head 540 does NOT weigh 500+ pounds...and Kieth Spreuer[sp] says his Subaru weighs over 450...and a finished rotary will not be 260.

Keep searching, you're digging up turds not potatoes.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

When you give someone a definative reply. They may rely on that reply without further investigation. If I was looking at your past helpful response- I might offhandedly place more or less interest in an particular engine choice. I am just saying that your two sources are not useful, as at least in the case of the 540, there are at least 40 different 540 configurations revolving around a basic parallel or angle head 540 assembly. The angle head is much heavier and is not suitable for a Cozy installation. It goes on from there.

If Chris, Nick or I had put[in his flying 540RG] or were putting 515# engines in MarkIV's we would be fools.

And whilst your looking for tasty potatoes, good luck out in the garden of the internet...its an information jungle out there.:rolleyes:

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Good point. You would be fools to make your propulsion decisions based solely on information from forum posts about weight estimates. Unless possibly there was plenty of discussion dissecting the nature of the information along with some Dr. Phil type metaphors about gardens of potatoes and turds, in which case at least it would be entertaining. :)

A good source of data for different aircraft engines is in the back of Jane's All the Worlds Aircraft. Check your local library to see if they have current copies.

I do not know of any good single source for automotive engine data. The links posted are the only ones I have seen, and the references listed are mostly magazines like "Car and Driver" or "Popular Science". Even then the info will be different due to modifications required for aircraft use. I don't even think SAE has anything like this.

Here are some weights that I believe are accurate.

The Lyc 540's that weigh 500+ # are angle valve and turbocharged and include the weight of the turbo and exhaust system to the turbo.

TCM Weight Range Horsepower

O200 190 100

O300 268 145

IO360 290 – 300 180 – 210

O470 378 – 410 235 – 240

O470H 495 240

IO470 426 – 432 250 – 260

IO520 417 – 431 285

IO520NB 478 285

IO520P 400 250

IO550 421 – 450 300

LYC

O235 243 – 255 100 – 125

O290 230 – 251 125 – 135

O320 243 – 283 140 – 160

IO320 250 – 276 150 – 160

O360 254 – 301 168 – 180

IO360 261 – 277 180 Parallel Valve

IO360 288 – 324 200 Angle Valve

O540 356 – 375 235 – 260

IO540 373 – 389 235 – 260 Parallel Valve

IO540 414 – 444 290 – 300 Angle Valve

• 3 months later...

A great place to look for engine weights for the certified stuff is on the FAA website. Its under type certificates. These weights will be "dry" and without all the goodies that make them actually run. Have fun.