TERF CD for Long-EZ build

sbarton

Can someone explain at what point in the build process of a Long-EZ you need the templates?

I'd like to get going on this project by ordering the TERF CD, doing research, getting my build space setup, ordering materials, etc.. Can I actually do any contruction without the templates?

Trying to give myself as much time as possible to locate a reasonable set of plans (read not $1500), but not have that holding up the whole project. Just trying to find out at what point I will be at a standstill without them.

Thanks in advance,

Bart

Can someone explain at what point in the build process of a Long-EZ you need the templates?....

Right from the beginning. the first thing you do is build bulkheads, and the only way you can do that is with the templates.

.... Can I actually do any contruction without the templates?

Almost none that will get you anything that looks like an airplane.

Sbarton

I'm not sure I totaly agree with Marc. :rolleyes:

The bulkheads that you need a template for is the firewall, f-22, f-28 and NG-30 and instrument panel which, I have sent as part of the bulkheads you can download from the Ez.org site as Cad drawings. I'm not sure if the firewall is posted yet sometimes it takes Avery a few days to get to it. You can build your fuselage sides which is a big step. You will have to stop at the gear attach points. you will need a template for that "Kinda" that particular one is more of a detail drawing of the written word, if you can follow what the plans say in that particular section you could probably do with out it but it does help to have it. I would if you have the means purchase a set of Aero Canard foam wings, that will take care of those templates. If your going to use the Roncz canard (Highly recomend) those templates are supplied when you buy the Roncz plans from RAF those templates are taken care of. I have supplied cad drawings for all bulkheads on the Ez.org site those are taken care of. The only ones you will need to get will be the jigging templates for when you glass your wings. You can also buy the winglets precut from Aero Canard scratch those off the list. So in the end yes, you will still need a complete set of templates no doubt, but there is an awful lot of work to do before you need them. Wing strake bulkheads, Landing gear attach tabs, Spar. the list goes on and on. BTW, I still don't have my firewall installed and I'm on the gear. Using a rotary engine. :D

Good luck.

Tony

Thanks Bart

I have a new design for the retracts they are slightly different than the 210 gear I wanted to use initially in the build. I'm finishing up the structural analysis for the final design of the retracts. Once that is complete, I'll machine the gear trunions, side castings, make the bulkheads and install them on the airplane. Flip the airplane over and do the canopy and strakes it's going to be awesome :cool: Glad you liked the site.

Tony

• 1 month later...

Thanks Bart

I have a new design for the retracts they are slightly different than the 210 gear I wanted to use initially in the build. I'm finishing up the structural analysis for the final design of the retracts. Once that is complete, I'll machine the gear trunions, side castings, make the bulkheads and install them on the airplane. Flip the airplane over and do the canopy and strakes it's going to be awesome :cool: Glad you liked the site.

Tony

I would love to see a photo of your completed work, sounds intersting:o