Nothing left but....

cncdoc

They are all gone...

Yep! No excuses..

I can't even find one to give to Mr. Slade now.

The UPS man just delivered my shiny new "Sticky Stuff" epoxy dispenser along with a couple of gallons of (full #%@%$ retail) MGS resin and hardener and another whole box of other goodies, sitting on my bench waiting for attention. :yikes:

The last time I felt like this I was standing at the top of a long, tall waterslide....

So, I guess I am going to be busy making an airplane for awhile.

For the "Best Practices" post guys who read this:

"Can't we all just get along"?

Oh great, if I want to make sure my "sticky stuff " is accurate, I have to buy a scale anyway!

Note to self: No nose picking during layups...

Thanks to y'all...I'll check in from time to time..

Kevin..

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes:

The UPS man just delivered my shiny new "Sticky Stuff" epoxy dispenser along with a couple of gallons of (full #%@%$ retail) MGS resin and hardener and another whole box of other goodies, sitting on my bench waiting for attention. :yikes:

I hope you got a picture of the UPS man! That seems to be a highly sought after picture. I have my wife ready at home, instructed to get a picture of the UPS guy when he shows up with my Box O Flox.

Oh great, if I want to make sure my "sticky stuff " is accurate, I have to buy a scale anyway!

I'm going to be starting out with a scale, just because I have no idea how everything will be working out. Once I get going, I might get the super duper mega-pump shown in the ACS catalog.

Thanks to y'all...I'll check in from time to time..

What does that mean?! You're not allowed to build and NOT post! You have responsibilities now. :D

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Congratultions cncdoc!! You'll have lots more of those deliveries to come. :) As far as the scale goes,, you will want one to verify your ratio's on occassion. You can get a nice digital five pound scale new on ebay for around $30.00. We caught ours out of wack once. Did a thorough cleaning, replaced the plastic containers and recalibrated. ;)

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

Thanks for the tips guys...

The "flox" comes in plastic bags as does the "GB" (Glass bubbles) which looks similar at first glance. The flox has a more shredded look. The 16 oz "cups" look more like the bowls you get when you order take-out chili from a "greasy spoon" restaurant. The paint brushes are refugees from the "Big Lots" truck and were probably not left by accident.

The "Sticky Stuff" pump actually looks like it could be worth a couple of hundred bucks (adjusting for inflation, near-sightedness and sporadic, stress-induced voluntary mental retardation and/or drinking whichever comes first). It comes with directions and stuff. (and an advertisement for some scales in the $100 + price range, so you can check the calibration of the pump..............am I supposed to be rich or something......$120 to check my $250 pump for my $60K airplane....I think I need some $20 aspirin and some $2 Evian (naive backwards) water to wash it down.....I should have been born rich instead of so darn good-looking, at least, that's what my wife says..)

I have had this "boat" (as my wife calls it, even though she knows it's an incomplete aircraft) gracing the innards of my garage since it flew home from California in the back of a Ford pickup back in December 2003. I have danced back and forth between what I wanted to do with it and what I have done with it (Dreams...retracts....full glass panel....exotic powerplants...etc.) after gathering a couple of engines and peripherals, I decided (after seeing John Slade's Cozy during a taxi test) to finally order the next couple of chapters (10-14) and get this show on the road....er...taxiway.....whatever. I owe it to the guy who parted with it tearfully to finish it. And, moreover, to finally prove to all onlookers that what I am building in my garage, is not a @%^#BOAT!!

I will, of course, still be active here on the Canard Zone. I will be still building in the shadows of the predecessors mentioned here, not the least being John Slade, Rick Maddy and Marc Zeitlin who have documented their sojourn into flying machine builderdom and Dust who is a few steps behind in real time. The others who post here add to the overall experience and put to rest doubts and worries, and give encouragement when the altitude is irrigating. I value the input from EVERYONE even the opinionated (they don't know any better than to say what they think). I hope we all can find the satisfaction that the flying builders have found and NOT find the problems they found by listening to their experiences.

In the immortal words of every pilot I know (on takeoff) "Here we go!"

Or as Sir Edmund Hillary said: " It's BLOODY cold up here, where's my Gin bottle? How am I supposed to get on with these blasted guides taking breaks every 10 minutes or...........

Whoops! Wrong immortal words....

If I find the right ones I'll put them on straight away, meanwhile.......

I've got plane to make.

:thumbsup:

By the by......

Don't just read this and go on... stop in and give me an "AMEN" or something...c'mon!!! benchwarmers! builders! lurkers! engineers! (break code) honk if you love......????

I will be still building in the shadows of the predecessors mentioned here, not the least being John Slade, Rick Maddy and Marc Zeitlin who have documented their sojourn into flying machine builderdom and Dust who is a few steps behind in real time.

I wouldn't call myself a predecessor quite yet. I'm still at least 3 years from flying, but thanks. But I'm working on the roof of the boat, I mean plane. Soon it will look like a plane - finally. How can I have worked for over 4 years appear to just have a tub? Oh yeah - the wings, canard, and spar are hanging from the ceiling. I just have a boat tub on saw horses. That's all anyone sees when they visit. One of these days I'm going to assemble everything I have, sit it on the gear, and probably cry with pride at what I have sitting there in my garage. Oh boy, I better wear my mask next time I do a layup. This is quite the pile of dribble. ;)

Rick Maddy

Denver, CO

Cozy Mk IV #824 - Chapter 18

http://www.maddyhome.com/cozy

"Don't just read this and go on... stop in and give me an "AMEN" or something...c'mon!!! benchwarmers! builders! lurkers! engineers! (break code) honk if you love......????"

Congrats on getting started! Its a big first step. Just keep moving those feet and keep posting and maybe someday you'll be one of those great shadows that guys like me will try to emulate.

Well for my status. After visiting Dust and coming home all smiles my boss (umm wife) gave the approval to start. I had thought she would get the plans for my upcoming b'day. But alas it has passed and no plans. Now she states that I need to wait until after closing on my home refi so that we have extra cash if needed at the closing. Thats scheduled for the end of next week. Maybe soon!! Unless I get the job I was looking for in Arizona. Then I'll have to move my family across the country to move in with my brother in law. Then wait for my wife to find a job. Then find a new house with a big enough garage. Then ... Then ... Then ... Damn, I just need to take a step and get started!!

Mike T

Well, there is a little switch in your brain, hard to turn on for most, but tooooo easy to turn off. The plane building switch. Before it is turned on it is coverred with a safty device to protect it from accidental activation and it has a mean hard pull to get it to trip to the on position. I think the factory set it to 15 or 20 lbs of pull, But it has a .2 oz push to turn it off and NO safty device to stop it from being accidently triped to the off position. Each time it is turned off it rusts with age, the longer it is in the off position, the harder it is to turn back on again.

In my opinion, the hardest part on building an airplane is keeping that little hair trigger switch from tripping to OFF.

Once you turn it on STAY AWAY FROM IT.

enjoy the build

dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

Congrats.

I will be thinking of you and all your joy as I invent new curse words :irked: as I figure out the best way to get my "boat" to fit in my garage with one outrigger (wing) on it so I can start the stakes. Made it fit, kinda, last night.......is it ok that I had to deflate, then remove the tires to let the winglet clear the ceiling????? Hmmmm, if I can get Jana to let me move the freezer and washer/dryer I can anlge the spar off of the kithen door and....hmmm. Gee, this airplane building is getting complex :cool:

All the best

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

By the by......

Don't just read this and go on... stop in and give me an "AMEN" or something...c'mon!!! benchwarmers! builders! lurkers! engineers! (break code) honk if you love......????

Where is the "green with envy" smiley?

No if only I can presuade my wife that building a Cozy won't cost any time or money and won't interfere with the completion of the replumbing and rewiring of the main house (built 1909) and finishing the apartment over the garage (hanger?). :yikes:

its about time! hehe......u and me r at the same spot kinda,i pick my nose,cuss when i do i'm looking down and i see the big spots of stiky plactic laying on the floor and can step over them insted of in them, haven't figired out how not to lay in them when doing the upside down lay down trying to lay it up. the coolest part is when i get in the hot tub after a long night of fome carving and get to see all the dust on top the water,all i need is a polywog ;) in the tread ..newbe help its got a list of stuf for watering the dash,u will need it if u go mazda,the list was fine till john messed it up,u know slade, allways changing shi...stuff lol have fun(buy stock in ups

NO SHEET ROCK SCREWS WERE USED IN THIS PAGE

Steve M. Parkins

One more thing...

The reason I wrote "Enjoy the Dust" in my signature, is because:

1. Dust already signed "enjoy the build" , I enjoy reading about his exploits (and exploitations) and I figured a clever person may see the sideways parody..

2. More importantly; I did some sanding and discovered that all composite materials are composed of is this: Tightly compacted and fused DUST! The act of sanding releases the dust into it's primal form and thus it's volume increases. So, from a very small amount of solid matter (needing to be sanded) an abundance of dust issues forth (fifth even). SO. Seeing as this project will require a good deal of sanding, I thought it to be a helpful reminder to all that dust will be an integral part of your life for the next few months/years. It gets into every nook and cranny, in your ears, hair and it even finds it's way into your knickers :scared: . So, if you dont learn to like/tolerate dust :irked: , you're not going enjoy the build. If you are a obsessive/compulsive duster, you're going to be VERY busy.....

:(

I am now finishing the landing brake. I wondered why the brake doesn't have holes in it like jet fighters have in their speed brakes?

I guess I will have to go to another thread for that one.... :rolleyes:

I must be off...

Fighters and mooneys have speed brakes, we have an air brake. I believe that a speed brake can be deployed at almost any speed and we have a low ias in which we can deploy the air brakd

enjoy the build

dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

Now I'm confused.

We have an airbrake because we don't put holes in them to make them speed brakes, or we don't have speed brakes because we don't put holes in them.

If we did put holes in them, would they become speed brakes? Or would they be holy air brakes?

I don't think I would want to slow down too fast anyway, good flight planning makes sudden stops an infrequent manuever...but it would be nice to slow down some

In other words, would putting holes in them have an advantage of any kind? :rolleyes:

Un-confuse me.

No, i think it is a structural and functional matter. One of the reasons for the air brake is to lower the nose for landing. It is not structurally designed to be a speed brake

enjoy the build

dust

i can be reached at