Heavy engine

dust

OK, lets get the flames going here, to counter a heavy engine, like a diesel or my continental, he he he,

why not just add 2 or 3 or 4 inches in behind the front seat in length

enjoy the build

dust, soon to be roasted

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

You know we have to ask some hard questions to find the answerto this.

1.) How much do you weigh.

2.)Oh Gawd, I don't want ta ask this........<buring face in hands & asking REALLY fast>How much does your wife weigh.

3.) Can you stick something in your nose? (Cozy Nose)

Mike, you having weight issues in your Cozy ?????

You ought to go ask the guys at HBA ? or maybe you already did, and this is a test...........ah-ha.

Er, uh........Yeah I know the answer, but you used incorrect punctuation.

:D

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

Originally posted by dust

OK, lets get the flames going here, to counter a heavy engine, like a diesel or my continental, he he he,

Hire me to fly it for you. :P

<... why not just add 2 or 3 or 4 inches in behind the front seat in length ...>

That would have an unknown effect on CG. Might balance out OK under some conditions, but the box would move, and none of the plans references around CG would be valid any more (adding to the fuselage would move the canard forward, shifting the Aerodynamic Center which is what drives CG location). If the fuel load was not centered on the CG box, CG might migrate unacceptably as fuel burned down. Lots of things could happen - all of them difficult to predict and/or quantify.

Battery in the nose would work if you have it in back. Is it too late to elongate the nose (ala Long-EZ) and put the battery farther forward and give it a better moment? That would lessen the ballast requirement if you could offset it far enough from the CG.

Just speculatin' ....

...Destiny's Plaything...

OK, ifin you change it, you now need to test fly it.

end of story, you have to realize that is the case, just like if you widen it, may have to decrease canard length. Simple appearing modifications have complex results

I'm not talkin bout me here, i ain't cutting my bird and adding two or whatever inches, i'm just raising this issue because there can be cg problems at the current length, if the engine is heavy.

For me, i am probably going to make my engine mount 2 or so inches shorter than the franklins was

enjoy the build

dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

Dust...this is for your heavy engine..go for the turbojet...found this on EZ Squadron. Might work better than your Continental.

http://www.ez.org/sales.htm

Turbomeca Marbore II Turbojet. Marbore II turbojet engine complete and running. Second for spars. Manuals, but no logs. Can be inspected and test run. Located near Nashville, TN. Please e-mail me for complete description and photo. Good powerplant for a "Cozy Jet". Reason for sale, too much engine for my F-4 Phantom II replica. $8500 USD

Cool idea.

I really don't know what my engine will end up weighing, i am puttting it on a diet. It is already on a low carb diet, no carb, but i am putting it on a 321 diet also, SS that is, but i am hanging a CS prop 9.2 inches from the govenor and a no mag diet, no magnetos so, for me that is it.

I'm just thinkin for others, Johns is not as "light" as he thought it would be, others on the group are looking at diesels with high HP and weight

enjoy the build

dust

i can be reached at

I was thinking about moving the nosewheel forward about 6 inches making the nose longer and allowing room for stuff where stuff is cramped. And room to add weight.

I could put the engine on rollers and

I could tie a string to it and if the CG was too far back I could pull on the string and move it forward..:D

Or I could just pull your leg now..

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes:

I think the experimental experiment of a wider fuselage (especially the front seat area:rolleyes: ) would be just the ticket.

Now the ironic part:

It seems that for an airplane you build by throwing things up in the air to see what comes back down and thus determine what you are going to put in it, there has to be an alternative to putting weights in it to compensate for too much weight. I mean what am I going to be piloting, a flying "teeter-totter"???:irked:

That having been said, at least the weight in the front should have a useful function: Coolant reservoir, oil reservoir, BEER reservoir (except that drinking the reservoir means you can't fly home alone - which may be a solution all by itself:bad: ) fuel reservoir (except if you burn off of it you may be flaring before approach)..

Anyway, keep those thinking mills a-going....

Kevin

Reservoirs have been tried... and although they work, its alot of extra work. Use a tool set as ballast. I can easily come up with 50 lbs. of "must have" tools. I may end up putting some solid gold bars up there. That way if I crash, lots of people will come looking for me!:D

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

was said

"a flying "teeter-totter""

Well YES, all planes are, the canards are just a little more and less

the more, CG too far aft, deep unreverable stall possible

to far forward, no lifty off runway.

LESS

instead of a stall you get a porpus

planes are very black white

space = slow

no space = fast

stol=slow

nonstol=fast

I know i have oversimplified

enjoy the build

dust

i can be reached at

I've flown many a tin can and I can never remember throwing in ballast. I think it's mostly because conventional (elevator in rear) aircraft allows for the pilot to be sitting near the CG. The only critical spot was the baggage compartment which was aft CG and made more of a difference in the weights and balances than anything (even gross, which is occasionally fudged in small amounts as the fuel/weight is burned off in flight, but not approvingly by FAA or good, clean-nosed throttle jockeys everywhere).

So the other answer would be to fly from the back seat (like many a bi-plane), or have an extra set of controls back there. Or put in a hot tub. OK. Just seeing if you're paying attention.:scared:

The only other solution would be to shift the canard (they move the wings on an F-14 don't they?) or wear Frankenstein shoes with lead in the soles or put an adjustable auxiliary trim tab on the canard to offset the lift (that's playin' with fire there ain't it? But I took Aerodynamic engineering in HS (Ben Davis HS Indianapolis IN followed by a degree at PU in Lafayette) I could look at my transcripts on a short final, you know, the final, final) which could do the same trick to the ever-faithful lifting airfoil (fulcrum of the teeter-totter) as weighting the nose.

Or I could not diet and make a little extra "butt room" in the left seat and only allow petite ladies to occupy the right seat. Where's the down side of that?

Pondering......

:thumbsup:

Republic sea bee has a sliding battery tray to keep plane in CG depending on passingers.

I was wondering. If a Cozy pilot flying solo point "A" flys someplace, and picks up a friend point "B", leaves his ballast there. Flys friend to point "C", and drops him off. Where or how does he get ballast to continue his flight solo?

Just thinking.

If the phone don't ring. It's me

Originally posted by chuckthedog

If a Cozy pilot flying solo point "A" flys someplace, and picks up a friend point "B", leaves his ballast there. Flys friend to point "C", and drops him off. Where or how does he get ballast to continue his flight solo?

I remove my ballast from the nose and store it under the rear seat (right on the CG) when it's not in use. It's always with me.

• 2 months later...

Republic sea bee has a sliding battery tray to keep plane in CG depending on passingers.

I was wondering. If a Cozy pilot flying solo point "A" flys someplace, and picks up a friend point "B", leaves his ballast there. Flys friend to point "C", and drops him off. Where or how does he get ballast to continue his flight solo?

Just thinking.

Use water balast. dump it when you don't need it, fill it just the right amount when you do need it. :)

Use water balast. dump it when you don't need it, fill it just the right amount when you do need it. :)

Lead is 13 times as dense as water. To get 50-60 lb of water, you'd need a cubic foot of space. That much space would be very difficult to find in the nose of a COZY. Vance Atkinson (IIRC) said he tried that once, and it was a PITA, as well as taking up way too much room.