why build? is it fun?

knotam

I'm still in flight training, the process of which has taught me that I cannot afford to fly the way I would like. The only alternative I can see is building.

Originally, the idea of building was merely a means to an end... an airplane that I can afford. But recently, I have developed an interest in the build process itself. I figure, the only way I can finish such a project is if I enjoy it.

So, is the build process enjoyable for you? How does building make you feel?

cf@knotam.com

When you see- "enjoy the build" at the bottom of Mike/Dusts posts, it isn't just some guy being nice ( Although mike is Quite nice) . I would guess, "This is a man that knows there is no other way to complete a project such as this" .

I have not began building my aircraft, but I have rebuilt a Vehicle, down to sanblasting each and every bolt, washer, and nut..repainting them all in various colors, Color coding the suspension parts different from the Transmission lines and fuel lines. I have also rebuilt a 24 foot RV,a boat or two,A mobile Home, and a house...............The BUILD is Enjoyable, to me........I can't see how it isn't enjoyable to anyone that builds something.

I will know at the end of bulding my aircraft, and get back to you.....But............I would imagine it is going to be a BLAST.

:cool: Joe:cool:

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

Since I have a real knack for the obvious I will say it....Building is great. Instead of saying "enjoy the build" I should sign off with "enjoying the build".....and, it is kewl (even if it is a Velocity ;) )

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

I would rather not watch someone giving their power away.

The Bird you are building, Just MAY be the most Powerful Bird A Young Flyer has ever seen. Especially with all those Starship based ideas.

You are the CREATOR that will Give it Character........You are the artist .

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

How does building make you feel?

Remember Christmas when you were a small kid? Every day is just like that.

The UPS guy comes with packages of facinating airplane parts that you get to unwrap, toss aside, and dive for the next one. It's Christmas!

You did a layup last night and left it to cure. This morning you get to remove the plastic & peel ply and examine you're new airplane part - it's Christmas!

There is nothing quite so satisfying or rewarding as looking at the airplane every day as it grows and knowing that YOU made it. That's true of anything you build, but with an airplane there's a very important extra ingredient - it will go 200 + mph and you get to fly (and use) it at the end. Every stage has it's own thrill.

Sit in the completed tub on wheels. Wow! This is going to be my airplane!

Carve the nose. Enjoy the cool shape.

Cut the wing cores and lay them out on the bench. Look at the size of the wings!

Install the canopy. Revel in the curves.

Attach both wings to the spar. Take in the wingspan!

Start the engine. What a thrill!

Taxi the plane. Oh so cool!

Take off. I'll let you know.

Another aspect that's interesting. Friends & family hear you're building an airplane and look at you strangely. Then they see the fuselage tub, and they look at you even more strangely. On the next visit they see the wings, and start to wonder. A few months later the airplane is taking shape, and they're facinated. Gradually they build respect and admiration for you and what you're doing. You'll probably convince a few to start their own build.

Top ten reasons to build a plane:

10. It gives you something useful to do when the top ten list is on

9. Better than beer, and cheaper in the long run

8. It's a great way to keep the mother-in-law at bay

7. Gives you an excuse to make a huge mess ... for years

6. No-one can argue when you spend money for safety's sake

5. You learn to pick you're nose with you're elbows

4. You end up with the best toy a guy ever had

3. You get to meet some really interesting crazy people

2. Makes you happier than you've ever been

and, the number 1 reason for building an airplane.....

1. Flying you're own plane has a big advantage over sex. The less skill you have, the more exciting it gets. :D

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

John,

I KNEW you were a kindered spirit (now, if I can get Jana to a "coloney" <g>). I can't tell y'all how "dead on" the Christmas analogy fits. Sometimes I even have trouble geting to sleep at night due to being anxious about a curring lay-up and getting back to work the next morning.

The fact that the folks on this list "Understand the Show" keeps me coming back....usuallly seveal times a day.

Now, don't I have some hinges to fit on rudders and airlons?

"Enjoying the Buiild"

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

I've been a member of EAA since 1965, and thus have watched the aircraft homebuilding movement grow and mature for much of its history. I have also been an airplane nut since my earliest memories of watching my dad fly free-flight and control line models, then my own aircraft modeling of all types. Building my own full size airplane has thus been nearly a lifelong ambition, which I am now finally realizing through the construction of a Cozy MKIV. Realizing the dream has been delayed by the practical realities imposed by education, career, military service, family, buying a home, etc. Fortunately, my wife enjoys flying with me, and reluctantly accepts my devoting much of my leisure time to this dream.

My consistent observation through the years is that you really must enjoy the process of building the airplane if you hope to have any chance of seeing it through to completion. Whether you build it youself or not, owning and operating a homebuilt aircraft can be much more economical than a factory-built aircraft, because you can do all of the maintenance except for annual inspections even if you aren't the original builder (see lengthy relevant discussions elsewhere). So, if your main objective is to acquire an airplane that's economical to operate, then purchase one that's already built and flying. You'll need some good advice to make a sound choice, because quality varies considerably among the thousands of individual builders, most of whom have built only one airplane in their lives, and many projects pass through multiple builders before they are eventually completed. If you shop around, you will see that most canard airplanes sell for not much more than the cost of raw materials and components. ...and that's only if they are pretty nice examples. The RV series seems to do better than this, for reasons that I can understand but won't go into here.

Realistically, building your own canard airplane is going to consume 3500 to 4500 hours of your labor, and will take several years. Many kit manufacturers and sellers of plans quote lower numbers, but everything I've seen reported by builders who appear to have kept close track of their build times is in this range. It doesn't seem to matter much whether you start with raw materials or with prefab components. I suspect this has a lot to do with all you have to learn along the way, and if you build three or four airplanes the build time starts to decrease significantly. One distinct financial advanage is that you will be able to spread the cost over the build time and pay for it as you go on a cash basis, thus saving the finance costs on a loan to purchase a kit or a completed plane, but that's not enough in my opinion to swing the decision. Another consistent observation is that the building process is so time-consuming that you won't be doing very much flying at all while your plan is under consruction.

My Cozy project is at eight years and counting (including three interruptions of a few months each for moving to England, and for interim moves between homes). At just over 2,000 hours I figure I'm perhaps 60% done with pretty much all of the structure complete except for the strakes. Even at that apparently slow rate of progress, I seem to spend a whole lot of my evening and weekend time working on it. But, I'm still having a great time and get a lot of satisfaction out of the experience of turning basic materials into a real airplane. Frankly, it's a little hard for me to comprehend how anyone builds an airplane in less than two years, but it has obviously been done.

Bottom line -- if you enjoy building things and are willing to wait a few years to achieve the satisfaction of building a plane with your own hands, then go for it. On the other hand, if you want to get something economical to acquire and operate quickly, buy a plane that someone else has built and operated successfully for awhile.

A last caveat: By far the greatest danger of failure on homebuilts is the engine. In that statement I include the engine itself (components and accessories), the fuel system and cooling. Get all the experienced advice you can on these subjects, whether buying or building. Significant faults with the airframe -- mechanically, electrically or aerodymanically -- appear rare by contrast, assuming that you start with a proven design, from which there are many to choose.

Paul Kuntz

Cozy MKIV

England