forum picks

dust

Well, i've put allot of thought into this and i have a plan and am taking action.

I also have an agenda, which i have been following for sixteen years in my woodworking shop and for 5 years in my plane building shop, teach what i know, learn from others and open up my shops for all to use.

It has worked well in the plane building shop, as many on this forum know from personal experience and from those not on the forum, also from personal experience.

My agenda is to also supply support and knowledge to "newby's", they need it the most as they walk into our world and are inundated with all of the diferent posts on an amazing amount of subjects and to try to read them all is almost as big a task as to build the cozy.

Much of the information seems to be needed and is not, i really like the technical conversations with all of the formulas and they don't intimidate me, but to some new to aviation, let alone plane building it can have the oposite effect that we want,scare them away

The plane is easy to build

You need to know nothing before you start

etc

etc.

I am going to start reading every post that has been written, some i will skip because they don't meet my personal criteria of what a newby or builder would consider important and the one that i deem worthy, he he he, i will add a single word post, "dustspick" this will allow searches to be done easily.

I know, egotistical, but not, the only way i can flag a post is to post a reply and then i need a special word, so i picked my name, it can look egotistical what ever way i do it, so ifin you hate me for it, hate away, if i miss a thread you think should be there, then you flag it dustspick, he he he

I tested this last week by reviving john slades plastic peel ply post and a review of it shows, activity and new info.

This is great info and i feel it should be kept in the forfront of our OUR forum.

enjoy the build

mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

Dust,

That sounds like a pretty good idea. I am hoping that some of the others regulars will take from this and do their own "_____ Picks", Like maybe a "ZeitlinPick", or a "SladePick" etc. etc. etc.....

Of course a No4Pick sounds like a guitar pick. I hope no one joins by the name of , let's say "NosePick"

As for me.."Newbie" I have found some threads I agree with..........But I have found a BUNCH that are ahhhhh, what is a good political word, ahhh lacking convincability ................As a newbie I could grade these as "NewbiePicks"

This aircraft stuff is serious business, and I expect people would be very cautious who they "Bet their @$$ on". It did not take me long to figure out "WHO" in this forum knows what they are talking about........... And I will waste no time feeling sorry for someone that will not, or does not, or did not take the time necessary to gleam from the stubble that which is good.

<Bowing>

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

I appreciate the sentiment, Mike, but surely there's a better way to do this that doesnt involve a bunch of one word posts and lots of searches for "whoeverpick".

Jon's getting deeper into the software. I'm sure the rating system can work for us, perhaps with slight modification.

What say you, Jon?

On second thoughts, Mike, this is a bad idea. I'm looking at 21 new posts. I don't have time to look at each to see if it's a damn dustpick, so now I'm going to miss anything worthwhile.

I understand what you're trying to achieve, but there has to be a better way. Please stop doing this. I , for one, don't like it at all.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

"Finishing a composite airplane" posts has been forgotten, if c barber had read it, it would have saved him many many hours of work

i just went through 5 pages of posts in about an hour, the first one i did was for his benifit.

I know what is here and so do a few others, no one else does and unles it is easy to find, it is like owning something and not knowing where it is, you don't own it!

John, look at the activity your plastic peel ply post just got, good stuf, the replies may stop someone from using a solvent in cleaning the plane before bonding, and the info should be known, if it is not, it doesn't exhist.

enjoy the build

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

Originally posted by John Slade

I appreciate the sentiment, Mike, but surely there's a better way to do this that doesnt involve a bunch of one word posts and lots of searches for "whoeverpick".

I'm sure the rating system can work for us, perhaps with slight modification.

There is absolutely a better way.

Mike, please stop the one-word 'dustspick' posts. As part of the conversion to the new hierarchy, I will look for how to use the built-in rating system for this purpose.

The only problem with the rating system is that it appears tied to the 'feature' of assigning moderators / turning moderation on. The consensus is that most are against moderation, and I agree with this -- it's not only a lot of work, but the wrong moderator can go berzerk and wreak havoc on the membership. The solution would become worse than the problem.

I do see how to potentially turn Thread Rating on without moderation, but need some time to test it out offline on my test setup.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Dust,

Thanks for looking for the "finishing the composit airplane" article. I had found it ages ago, then "lost" it. I refound it AFTER I put in some serious time. Also, "others" (other webpages, etc) said to fill, sand, fill, sand. Until I had enough of that in real life, I did not head the knowledge of the FTCA article. Now I know better....and I love that new airtool I got the courage to use.

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

I just deleted a dozen+ posts consisting of only one-word 'dustpicks'.

Mike, in the future, please acquire some level of consensus on this sort of thing first. I would like to be part of the consensus. With issues relating to archiving, moderation, and thread rating, I need to be part of the consensus as this ultimately will require a weekend and a fair amount of work on my part.

There are options to have 'Sticky' threads -- those that stay at the top of a section.

We can figure this out in 2004, but rest assured nothing is lost -- it can be found using the search function.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I would like to retract my responce earlier,............Where I said this is a good Idea to have "Dustpicks"

I think it would be a horrible idea. Let us take some time to calm ourselves and think this through.

Dust, I give a lot of credit to what you have to say.......

.......However, even I do not want to name you "GOD".

The "Coffee House" , seems to be the place to "CHAT", and at the end of the day..........I, for one need this.

Perhaps if you were to write the names of the Threads you approve of, and put them on a web-site, we newbies and anyone else you point in that direction could find the "title" and look it up in the search.

Please, give this some time..............Tommorrow things will look different, if we would all truly be opened minded..

What Do YOU Want?

native spirit wrote

However, even I do not want to name you "GOD"

I am a man of action, i don't sit around and wonder, i see a problem and i solve it. Would my solution be an inconvience, no, i do it at once so that all can ignore the "dusts posts" and go on with daily life.

Because of the tools at my disposal, the only way i could solve a problem was by making a post, the post would be by me, so i extended it and used my name, that way all those that hate me could ignor my picks and do the work themselves.

it is enough just to go through all of the posts, but far easier for me than almost anyone else, i remember most of them, it is the way my mind works.

I would never think of asking someone else to do that job, it is far too time consuming and i do not dump on others, if i think something should be done, i do it.

I want to

get people building

keep people building

see people finish

Everything at my disposal is available to all, except money and family, those are mine.

I liked using "dust" because no one could think i was doing this for self gain, i put my name out in public to answer a complaint that it was not and wish i had not, the complaint was not against me but a general one, but i did mit anyway

now someone can think i am here so that the real person michael skorija, instead of "dust" is looking for gain or respect or whatever.

I enjoy life

I have a great life

i have been helped in the past and i owe others to help for that same reason

I also don't mind asking for help, and i have done that many times on this forum and i have learned allot

hey native "lightening fast" spirit hows that.

enjoy the build

Mike

i can be reached at

I spent over an hour reviewing posts, please replace my posts. They are no diferent than many multiple word posts, you may think them drible, others may not

Nat didn't censor the forum, even when kind things were said about competitors.

If this is how you are going to run things, please tell us now and I will put my efforts elsewhere

Am I the first to be censored?

enjoy the build

mike

i can be reached at

dust,

That isn't really censorship...........You had 20 posts, each was one word. It is af if you are dictating what is the most important.

Everyone is getting e-mails that says "There is a new post"

If I was in charge, I would Chit-can this thread as well.

What Do YOU Want?

"That isn't really censorship...........You had 20 posts, each was one word. It is af if you are dictating what is the most important."

censorship is censorship

This is my last word on any negative subject, if the cencorship continues, i won't, nor should anyone else

many posts are one word

MOST posts are not worth reading

I know that and will work hard and as unbiased as i can be, if you saw the posts i had flaged you would have noticed that

who is to decide, you have already made up your mind on who is worth reading and who is not

that is what a forum contains

I am trying to seperate out the wheat from the chaff, for all to benifit from.

I can easily be ignored

But I shouldn't be censored

enjoy the build

Mike

i can be reached at

Come on, Dusty, get this in perspective.

You were going off in the wrong direction. I agree that all those dustpick posts should have been chitcanned. I would have done it myself if Jon hadn't.

As I said earlier, I like the idea of rating threads. I also agree with you on the overall purpose of contributing to this forum.

I hope you saved a note of the threads you earmarked. While we're waiting for a better solution using the rating system, I'd suggest ONE post in a new thread called "Threads I think are good" listing those threads.

As for censorship - Jon, Nick and I had a discussion on this issue months back and we agreed that it would not happen. If it does happen I will cease contributing. Removing your dustpick posts was housekeeping, not censorship.

Enjoy the build.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

I strongly disagree with the deletion of dust's posts.

There is plenty of stupid stuff on this forum, is it all deleted? Why only dusts?

So he posts 20 one word posts. So for one day the threads jump to the top.

Are they not good threads?

Is there something wrong with bumping good threads?

It is a solution for now? Is there a better idea that can be done today? I see a bunch of people saying you shouldn't, but I dont see ANY suggested INSTEAD's.

The very idea of deleting his posts will turn most people off this forum.

Mark this. It will be thrown in this forum's face that we deleted threads, and for no good reason.

If we have to have "consensus" (your word Jon) then did you have it to remove them? Or is this yours and the rules you establish dont apply to you?

Dust,

I tried to keep up with reading the threads, but they were popping up faster than I could read them.

Below is a list of the ones I got. If you can remember anymore of them, or would care to point me in the right direction, I am all ears( well, eyes).

1. Exhaust Pipe Concerns

2. Propellers

3. Product Report / Top Glass

4. Rules on buying or selling an Amatuer built/ experimental aircraft

5. Air Conditioning in a Cozy Mark IV

6. Workshop space and Conditions

7. Hidden Rudder Horns

For you to read through "Threads" and pick out quality ones, Is A LOT To Ask of someone. You are a top-notch guy for doing it.

What Do YOU Want?

OK, I see a problem, you don't.

I am volunteering to solve the problem in a simple way, others are volunteering me to set up a web page and do even more work.

I see that the forum needs housekeeping, others see my housekeeping as spam.

I view others housekeeping as censorship.

in my opinion, housekeeping would be asking me if i minded if all of my posts to various threads that i have posted a single word to could be changed to an old date, so that it wouldn't muck up everyons screen.

I am changing my signature back to not include my name, so that people don't know who i am and that they do not think i am doing this for personal gain.

If I am censored off the list, i will leave, as this will be just the first step in some form of arbitrary censorship.

I was hoping this site could be a repository of things learned for many years to come, i have put specific "tips and tricks" i have come up with in the chapter by chapter section and begged others to do the same

Not much is there and it is easy to understand why, the plans really are complete and nothing but the plans are NEEDED to build the plane and unless you are doing a chapter now it is hard to remember what little thing helped you out.

I am getting close to completing the glass build portion of the plane and i am sure i can share my triumphs and tribulations on installing a turbo charged, electronic ignition, electronic fuel injection air cooled engine with others. From a technical installation, i have already put together quite a respectful local team of advisors, so I will make it just fine.

I will keep open a post, so that builders or potential builders will know where the shop is and when plane day is and that it exhists.

The best thing that has happened to me in the last week was when a new builder spent 4 or 5 days with us building the strakes, from not knowing where to begin to closing strake 1 and 2.

After working through the process that i feel is the hardest or at least in the top 2 hardest we have done so far, he looked at me and said confidently, now that i have done that, i really know i can do it all.

Please don't clutter up this post or my mail box or PM with support, flame me if you wish here, at home, my phone is listed, email, pm, It has been chilly here in michigan and the heat might feel good.

As always

Enjoy the build

Dust

i can be reached at

Back when I was a bit younger, we had people over every week to play volleyball. Usually as many as 30 folks between the age of 18 - 45 .

There was always some sort of exchange of "male Bravato", it was interesting raising a Kid up and teaching her to act as an adult, when the examples of "Adults" were so readily available.

One day a gentleman(term used loosly) got upset and took the volleyball home with him. He statement was so childish, I remember it still today " Fine, I am gonna take my ball and go."

Think long term.

What Do YOU Want?

I have been trying to read some of "Old Threads".........man talk about hard to figure out. I am sure more of this will make since,ONCE I GET MY PLANS.............

It seems so easy to understand something, if I ask a question, and others attempt an answer. Reading never was one of my favorite things to do. I am a Picture kind-a-guy. A picture says a THOUSAND words.

Thank god for the builders that have web-sites with PICTURES.( Well, thank the Builders.)

I fear trying to match with my web-site, the depth of the Builders web-sites, more than building an aircraft.

Should I name all the builders w/websites, or do you know who you are???? I will put your names, along with Thank-You's, in my "Support Group" web page.

As a famous Governor once said " I'll be back "

and taking from another famous guy , " I wish I could Enjoy The Dusty Build" if my @%#$@%#%$@$^ Plans would GET HERE.

What Do YOU Want?