Jump to content

AN Fittings Quandary

Recommended Posts

As I searched for hose fittings for my engine, (in this case a rotary), the issue on the type fittings became apparently unclear.


I was intending to use AN fittings and in my market search I was hit with a statement "If you are going to fly that baby I believe the FAA requires "cutter" not "compression" fittings". I have searched the web and can not find difinitive guidance on this subject within the FAA or EAA Regulatory vaults on the "approved" type of AN fittings as they apply to home built aircraft.


Can anyone shed some light on this subject?



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many people think that our aircraft have to pass "inspection". That’s true if you define an "inspection" as are we complying with stuff like the "experimental" on the side and lights for night flight and stuff.


Our aircraft have no standards of building at all as far as the FAA is concerned. If they did we would have a "certificate" saying we complied with the construction standard.


We also do not have a category and type. I still don’t understand how an insurance company can demand X hours in type…


You also do not need a SEL airplane certificate (it's not a licence) to fly a cozy. Any aircraft certificate will do.


This is a topic of alot of debate, but it is the simple truth.



I have an 11,000 bet with dust regarding the requirment of a fuel shutoff valve is required. I am looking forward to the payoff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that there are no "standards" that we have to comply with. Having said that, any DAR worth his fee will be looking for as much use of standard aviation practice as possible. For example, "two threads" showing on every nut & bolt is a famous one. Safety wire where needed is another. Quality push-pull throttle cable etc. etc. They know to look for these things.


AN fittings are aircraft standard and much preferable to automotive hoses and clamps, but there are plenty of homebuilts out there using the automotive stuff and they all got airworthiness certificates. I even saw one aircraft with an intake plenum made of plywood. I've never heard of "cutter" fittings.


While the inspector might suggest a certain technique or fitting, theoretically he shouldn't refuse a certificate unless he feels that the aircraft is unsafe to fly. I'm told that many "inspectors" look carefully through the paperwork, glance across the hangar, say something along the lines of "Well, it's you're butt!" and sign the certificate.


I'll let you know what my DAR says when he sees the air conditioner :D

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont want to start stuff but the truth is the truth...


AN is a myth. There are no inspections anymore so it's an honor system.


Grade 8 beats all AN in BOTH strength and weight.


My thick skin is donned.



You pay the DAR right? Make sure BEFORE YOU PAY the DAR will agree to sign off, with the conditions YOU want. IF NOT get another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Guys;

I thought that the exp folks do not have the riggid standards of commercial aviation. Not to stir the pot BUT, Largeprime is correct in the requirement for a manual fuel cut-off on the fuel line. So Mike, you will have to pay Largeprime or pay-off the DAR!:D


John; Great words of wisdom that I will store in the memory banks for when the time comes. I certainly DO NOT want to challange the DAR when he is doing a certification on my work.


Not glassing (TOOO COLD!), but researching and turning bolts!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Hank Stauffenberg

....... Largeprime is correct in the requirement for a manual fuel cut-off on the fuel line.


I'm not sure I understand - are you claiming that there __IS__ a requirement for a fuel cutoff, or that there isn't?


Can you point me to a FAR, AC, or other FAA document that is clear on this subject one way or the other?



Link to comment
Share on other sites

In Denmark we have adopted some of the US regulations.

Concerning the fuel system it must comply with FAR 23.1091 to and included 23.1105 for fixed wing aeroplanes and motorgliders.

Sorry I can´t set up a link.Somehow I dont have any succes trying to find it on the net.

Cheers HA

Plane will be called `Hugin`

After Odins raven

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess I was unclear on my question. I fly in the USA, not in Denmark. The regulations that Mike and I (and anyone else in the USA) fly in are not the same ones that are used in Denmark (even if Denmark has borrowed some from the FAR's).


I was looking for:


a) an indication as to whether Hank believes that a fuel shutoff valve is/is not required, and


b) if he believes it IS required, whether he (or anyone else that believes it's required to pass the FAA inspection) can point me to a regulation (USA only) that states what equipment is required.


We're only talking fuel system parts here - not instruments, etc.




P.S. - I now see that Hank has started another thread, so I'll move this discussion over there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information