Going Rotary!!

I made my first baby steps for commitment to power Cozy MKIV #656 with a Mazda rotary and took delivery of Tracy Crook's highly recommended book, "Aviator's Guide to Mazda Rotary Conversion". A sad thought is that soon, we will actually be forced to assign an assembly as "Their's", Cozy MKIV #591 and "Mine", Cozy MKIV #656. I think a coin toss can settle the issue with no squables. Until now, and for a little while longer, everything and every problem was the same. As Dust and his partner Thane are going to power their Cozy MKIV #591 with a Continental TIO-360, it's going to be a challenge to figure the unique differences and challenges each installation has. And we are all still working on both!! They are in virgin waters with their TIO-360 Continental with a constant speed prop in a Cozy MKIV. I hope to be able to follow in the wake of John Slade for inspiration and answers to problems he encounters as he gets his plane up and running. Their problems will become my problems, and mine will become theirs. Nothing has changed. Yep,,,, Things are going to get mighty interesting around here in a little while!!

;)

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

Congratulations on you're decision, Clifford. I'll help in any way I can, but be warned - I'm just blundering my way though this - I actually have no idea what I'm doing.;)

Having said that, I'd be willing to bet that you'll have less installation problems and better performance & reliability than Dust. I've been puzzeled by his motivation for the Continental. As far as I know, the main driving force for the decision was "because it's there". To me there are only three viable options - Lycoming, Rotary or Subaru, and I'm a bit doubtful about the third in terms of longevity.

I think that if I were you and the budget was available, I'd go for the new Renesis engine. You'll be breaking new ground, but the advantages should be worth the effort.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have as you go along.

Regards,

John

PS - Do you know how to TIG weld?

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Dave,

That's great news. I also have the book. I'd certainly look into the new Renesis. Though I can't imagine there are alot available yet. But either way, if you go 13B or Renesis, I'll help you as much as I can. Especially since I'm going to put aa rotary in mine too, but that's 5 years away.:mad:

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif

You Da Man! I feel you have made the right decision in your selection. I think you will find lots of help available to put spark in you bird. Tracy is the brain, Bruce T is the tech, and of course, John and Greg are the applications gurus. I'll be tinkering with my 13B during the cold months (not cost effective to heat garage without insulation)and hope to get a good start on the assembly of the engine and mount.

I can always use a slave, so come on down to the pig capital of the world for a visit. Robin would love the River Boats.

I will, of course, make another migration your way in the spring to be your slave again. Cuz, I do love the work!

Wrench turning on the powerplant is cool stuff!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I will be looking for the Renesis as I get closer, even if I have to buy a crate motor it would probably be worth it.?? John, I do have a nice Miller Square Wave 180 SD tig welder. Its already paid for itself in the parts I fabricated so far for both planes. As a kid I took 2 years of welding in high school and I also did a lot of tig welding at a prototype machine shop I worked at a lifetime ago. Now i'm working on the metal lathe fabricating parts and will hopefully save enough money to have that machine pay for itself!

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

>I do have a nice Miller Square Wave 180 SD tig welder. Its already

>paid for itself in the parts I fabricated so far for both planes.

Cool. I took the other approach - bought the TIG welder, then paid someone else to do the welding. This way you get to spend twice as much money. :(

Maybe Dust will change his mind as he sees you're installation going together.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

hey my mind is made up and my money spent, tsio360a is in the bag

but i am thinking about the next plane and if the proof of the pudding is in your plane then it'l go into a plane with a long speer for flying fish, moose and bighorn sheep and a trebble hook for sharks and minnows.

i'll need the turbo for the bighorn sheep speering they are up high in the mountains, i'll probably install fog lights for the days when the mountains are clouded in.

enjoy the build

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

• 1 year later...

Okay, seriously, you can try Teledyne Continental's web site www.tcmlink.com for a dizzying array of models, sizes, and options.

Four years ago, this engine (TSIO360A) was about $24,000 rebuilt (not available new).

I did notice their "recent" press release about teaming up w/Honda from 2003: http://www.tcmlink.com/recentlyReleased/recentlyReleased.html

I still need to get used to time at the speed of the aviation industry.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV