Construction Videos

noodles

Hello,

I don't have the facilities to start construction. I was hoping to bide my time by watching some videos on how to build a Cozy.

I know Aerocanard offers a set, but it's kind of pricey. The ten video set goe for $150

Does anyone know of any other canard construction videos for sale.

Nathan

Cozy IV project.

Redheaded Stepchild of The Canard Community :bad:

I've seen some of Jeff Russell's videos, and while $150 is a nice chunk-o-change, the time/money you save by viewing his videos and getting insights/methods fo composite building are well worth the price. He puts many years of composite building experience into them. The tapes aren't essential, but IMHO, they can steepen the learning curve significantly.

FWIW,

Jerry Schneider

Plans #768

Ch. 19

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

I haven't seen Jeff's videos, but have seen the old Rutan videos (that might still be available for $20 or so) and one of Danny's Velocity videos. I would be inclined to puruse John Slade's and some others' web sites for the same (or arguably better and certainly more detailed) info at no cost. There are periodic weekend-long hands-on seminars here and there around the country for a couple of hundred that might be a better investment.

So far, a couple of generations have made several thousand of these things without benefit of videos. It's doable. IMO for $150 you're giving a lot more than you're getting.

...Destiny's Plaything...

Thanks for the tips. I've already memorized many of the builders websites by now. I talked to aerocanard and this is a brief quote from there reply

"Finally, if you purchase videos and then later buy some kits from us, we

will credit you the cost of the videos you've purchased for that part of

construction. Example: If you buy a set of wing kits, built or unbuilt from

us. We would discount your order the amount of the wing construction videos."

Which doesn't seem to be that bad of a deal. I may purchase them just to bide some time. Hopefully this will help cure my itch to build.

Cozy IV project.

I don't think that there is anyone in my part of the USA. I've checked several lists, all I've found is one individual with Cozy IV plans. The one time I talked to him, he indicated that he was moving.

I live in downtown Houston, I would be more than happy to commute to help some one along with there project.

Cozy IV project.

• 2 years later...

Old thread, I know, but I just queried Al at the "new" Aerocanard and he informed me that the videos are now available on DVD. Complete 10-DVD set for $150.00 plus $8 for S&H or $18 each plus $5 for S&H.

I'd post purchase info, but I have a feeling that would violate forum rules. Go to the site and email him if you're interested.

Having never seen one of these, I cannot comment on quality.

While I agree that there's nothing quite like getting hands-on experience, and the websites are nice and detailed, a video presentation can give a really good overview of the process and help keep you oriented. I think video can be a very valuable learning tool.

When you participate in plane day, what you get a lot of experience with is the part of the plane you're working on, and that's it. You may never even see other parts, either because they're in storage, they've already been installed and are no longer accessible or they haven't been built yet. When you visit a website, the information can be terribly confusing if it's not written clearly. Photos also...it's hard to look at a photo of an engine installation and make any sense at all out of what you see. But a video, with its changing point of view, is a lot easier to interpret.

======

Not started yet, maybe never will (currently having an affair with an RV project...shhh...don't tell my set of Cozy plans)....

The other question I would have about the videos is whether the construction techniques are up-to-date. I am a newbie here and do a lot more lurking, but it seems to me that a lot of people use a Fein tool to make cuts on cured components instead of the way it was once done.

I am also like you since I know of one other builder in the area.

Nathan Gifford

Tickfaw, LA USA

Cozy Mk IV Plans Set 1330

Better still --> Now at CH 9

That sort of thing is mere detail. There are many variations on methods. Think of it like a cooking video...it doesn't really matter what kind of knife, cookware or stove you use. The basics are the same. There are several different ways to skin the cat.

What's far more important and valuable IMHO is getting an overview of the project and seeing how things go together.

======

Not started yet, maybe never will (currently having an affair with an RV project...shhh...don't tell my set of Cozy plans)....

Old thread, I know...

Nothing wrong with that at all -- it's one of the great features of this mode of communication.

...I just queried Al at the "new" Aerocanard and he informed me that the videos are now available on DVD.

I'm hoping I can upgrade my 1 cubic foot worth of AeroCanard VHS tapes. I've been meaning to fire up the VHS player to see how the AeroCanard achieves a front bench seat.

I'd post purchase info, but I have a feeling that would violate forum rules.

What makes you think that?

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

The other question I would have about the videos is whether the construction techniques are up-to-date.

I have a video with Rutan and Melvill from a couple decades ago that I've watched at least 5 times -- some stuff just doesn't get old.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV