Looking for a Rutan Defiant Plans

Anidem1975

Many years ago, Burt Rutan basically said "you're free to copy and distribute the plans from RAF, but if you build something off them, don't call it a Long-EZ/Defiant/etc."  I have a PDF copy of the Defiant plans minus the wing and canard templates, if you're interested.  I know @Jon Matcho was working on making the whole plans set available in a similar manner to the Open-EZ plans, but haven't heard any updates on that project in some time.

• 1 year later...

I may be able to help you out. 
mark young

orlando, Florida. 

On 4/5/2023 at 5:45 PM, Anidem1975 said:

Good day people! im looking for a Rutan Defiant Plans and Construction Manual that they are for sale! If anyone know of a set available for sale please let me know !

Thank You in Advance!

Eddy

captmedina@gmail.com

1 hour ago, zolotiyeruki said:

It appears those plans don't include the wing templates, unfortunately.

They're in Section 1.

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

But... unless extra steps were taken you cannot trust 100% that the dimensions are accurate. 

I need to get my B in gear and get all these plans scanned with proper dimension verification...

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Make sure you compare and 'fit' the templates to the coordinates from that site.
Designers often make small tweaks to airfoils for (reasons) that go unmentioned, ie filling a cusp or tweaking a trailing edge. This is important.

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

15 hours ago, John Meinecke said:

Given we know what the airfoil shape is, Would it not be easier to use the coordinates of the airfoil, then back into the forms from a CAD grade output.

That would make a lot of sense if it weren't for the point Cameron reminds us of...

14 hours ago, Voidhawk9 said:

Designers often make small tweaks to airfoils for (reasons) that go unmentioned, ie filling a cusp or tweaking a trailing edge. This is important.

It's known that Rutan and/or Roncz made adjustments to some of the airfoils that are NOT indicated in the official plots. Rather than create a new airfoil we have references such as "a modified Eppler airfoil". The only way to get to their intended shape is to key off of the plans, which brings me back to my point -- good drawings are critical. Sure, the Defiant plans are available, but were they scanned PERFECTLY and will they be printed the same? The only way to tell is with verification marks/measurements on authentic "analog" drawings. You would need to follow this route BEFORE implementing in CAD otherwise the result would be flawed.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV