Starting a Quickie project, collecting information & ideas

I've started a Long EZ from scratch a few years ago and then acquired a flying one (and loving it) and subsequently stopped building the EZ. However, I still need to be building something! I've been looking into building a quickie because it looks (relatively) fast and fun to build. I have the construction plans and have read them a couple timIes now. It is not a plane I have a mission for, I just want to build something all the way through. Having gone through a Rutan project before, I know how important it is to read the newsletters, which I have not been able to get a hold of for the quickie. Couple notes and questions for the community below:

1. Does anyone have a source for the quickie newsletters & templates? (I payed for the package on this site, but haven't recieved anything!)

2. Is the LS canard mod worth it for a local fly-around toy?

3. I've seen a report for a 50hp Rotax mod, which I intend to use unless anyone here has a better suggestion.

4. There's a number of prefab parts that were supplied with the kits (canopy, flight control bits, tailwheel assembly), many of which I'm planning on making myself if necessary. But again, if anyone may know of components for sale I would be happy to buy.

Thanks for reading

LS spars are not readily available. Believe they were formed on a Mandrel, vacuumed and baked. Super Quickie used a Rotax 503. Might want to check on the latest developments of the commercial lawn care engines that are being developed such as Briggs Vanguard.

1 hour ago, JRabideau said:

1. Does anyone have a source for the quickie newsletters & templates? (I payed for the package on this site, but haven't recieved anything!)

That's unacceptable - contact @Jon Matcho directly - he should be able to help.

Newsletters (in an absurd format) are available here:

https://www.quickheads.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=13&Itemid=110

PS - as an aside, I'm trying to get a vehicle so I can come pick up the tank :-).

On 4/1/2023 at 8:46 PM, JRabideau said:

The user experience for downloading your purchased files leaves a bit to be desired. Once you complete your digital purchase you can download the file by selecting the 'View Purchase' button OR navigating through the Store > Manage Purchases menu to bring you to this link: https://www.canardzone.com/clients/purchases/

Marc beat me to the newsletters link, which is at the Quickheads website: https://www.quickheads.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=13&Itemid=110

They're "in an absurd format" because the decision, before my time, was to convert them to text only so they would be Internet searchable. It would be nice to have them as PDFs (now that PDFs are searchable) and that is on the list of things to improve. I just went through 3 sets of printed copies to select the most scan-worthy issues.

On 4/1/2023 at 8:46 PM, JRabideau said:

2. Is the LS canard mod worth it for a local fly-around toy?

Yes, if you can get the structural carbon tube/spar which is like finding a unicorn these days -- impossible. Instead, you can build a suitable spar using other techniques. I have a file with instructions about this and will upload as soon as I can.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 2 weeks later...

re:-

"

They're "in an absurd format" because the decision, before my time, was to convert them to text only so they would be Internet searchable. It would be nice to have them as PDFs (now that PDFs are searchable) and that is on the list of things to improve. I just went through 3 sets of printed copies to select the most scan-worthy issues.

"

Just a little something I discovered, when saving the newsletters. Using Chrome, I just open the newsletter and hit CTRL-P  . Windoze then gives an option to save as PDF.