Airworthiness Hurdles?

wdhenson

Hi all. I figured this might be the best spot to ask my question.

Background: I'm looking at purchasing a partially build Varieze (wings/aelerons/rudders done, Fuel cells enclosed). still needs instruments, interior, cowling, engine (which I have). The person selling it is doing so for his brother (deceased builder). His brother passed away over a year and a half ago. Consequently the seller has no documentation of the build.

My big question is; Is getting an airworthiness certificate signed off on even a possibility without dismantling everything that has already been built? The built parts look good but without pics of the build or documentation is this a path worth starting down???

I'll ask a DAR (Designated Airworthiness Representative) but just wanted to ask the Varieze community their thoughts. If I can figure out the airworthiness is taking on a half completed project something to embrace? Thanks in advance.

Bill

I bought a project with all the major structures and a little of the contouring complete.  IIRC I had a few construction pictures from the original builder.  I did the systems work, installed an engine, made some airframe mods (removed camber from winglets, installed NACA engine inlet, gear leg fairings), finished the contouring, and painted it.  The FSDO inspector had no qualms whatsoever in issuing an airworthiness certificate for the airplane and repairman's certificate for me.  Sample size of 1, but I believe that in general they don't police the 50% rule very stringently unless there are indications that someone is trying to cheat.

If you buy the project take pictures of its current state before you start working on it and more as you progress in the build.  And keep a log (doesn't have to be daily) of your work.

Edited by slk23

4 hours ago, wdhenson said:

My big question is; Is getting an airworthiness certificate signed off on even a possibility without dismantling everything that has already been built? The built parts look good but without pics of the build or documentation is this a path worth starting down???

Welcome to the age-old confusion over the "major portion" rule and the Repairman's certificate rule.   The "major portion' (51%) rule is that the major portion of the aircraft must have been built by amateurs for their education and recreation.  Any amateurs, anywhere.  With a plans built EZ, it is pretty easy to convince an inspector/DAR the major portion was built by amateurs.   Just document your work from now on and you should have no problem. 

The Repairman's Certificate issue is different.  Only one R.C. can be issued for each airplane and you need to show the inspector you know how to repair the aircraft.  Usually that is not a high hurdle.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold