Oshkosh 2021

I am planning to bring my VariEze to Oshkosh this year.  Although I have always looked at Ez's when attending, I have never thought to notice if there was a specific area that all the Ez's congregated.  I think I remember years ago seeing an "EZ Street" sign in the homebuilt area when there were more of them attending.  Where does everyone park?

It would be great to see another few canard flybys/showcases as they did for Burt Rutan's visit in 2019.  It was that week at Oshkosh that convinced me to start the search for my VariEze.  Now I have the VariEze (N40LC), and am rebuilding a Long-Ez.  I am also storing a Cozy 3 in my hangar for a guy.  I caught the bug hard.

If you indicate you want Homebuilt Camping (HBC), the parking crew will generally direct you to where canards are parked.     If you just want to park on the flight line, you could be parked randomly but you can wave-over the parking guys on the taxiway and explain what you want.  An “HBC” sign or “canard camping” sign would help

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I have never FLOWN into OSH but I was a passenger in a Cozy and twice in a C-182.

Just be sure that you have an official copy of the EAA manual for this year and study it.

Get in the approach to 36, you don't want to be in the slow bunch.   Arrive with plenty of fuel; I rode in a C-82 for 3.5 hours IN THE APPROACH; due to weather all of the aircraft for 2 days arrived on Sunday; a few said they were low on fuel; DON'T DO THAT!

Have your HBC card ready and don't let them put you off on the grass if you have wheel pants; just go all of the way to the end of the runway; there is paved taxiway.   That will put you into a lot of different non-canards; I don't know if they have a special parking area for canards; once they did but they changed.   Maybe someone knows for this year.   The "Rutan celebration year" was nice.   Parking anywhere close to 36L is good, too.

I don't have enough flying experience; I would not even try it.  I would get an experienced pilot into the front seat.

Many years ago, a canard was switched from runway 9 to 36 but he made an error in changing the radio frequency.   The controller was telling him to go around but he landed; at the last second he saw another aircraft BELOW him; he went to the side and landed in grass; he spent the entire week rebuilding the Longeze.   He was lucky to not completely wreck it and lucky to get it into a hangar.

My son and I have flown in several times in our Cherokee.  We have a short 200nm trip from the Minneapolis area.  We generally come in the Thursday or Friday before the show starts, so traffic is a non-event.  My son is flying the Cherokee and I a flying the VariEze this year.  He likes to camp with the Cherokee so he will be in the North 40.  I prefer our camper that we also bring to Camp Scholler.

I am going to check in with the EAA staff to see if they will be planning to set up a canard area in the Homebuilt parking area.  I know they made changes in 2019 to the whole homebuilt area which seemed to allow for similar types to be parked near each other.

• 2 months later...

Many of you may already know this...

Ryszard Zadow provided me some information for Oshkosh EZ parking.  He indicated to go to "EZ Street" (make a sign), to park your EZ with others for display.  It is located between the homebuilder building and warbirds.  I attached a 2019 aerial pic of the location.  Everyone bring your Ez and let's fill up that area.  I will be arriving with my VariEze (N40LC) on Thursday the 22nd.

ez_street.thumb.jpg.f497e4abe10940848c60327d5e652f65.jpg

The soil in that area can be VERY dry, depending....   If you don't have a VERY good tiedown system, get one.   One type screws into the ground IF THE SOIL IS RIGHT.   Throw that type away as they won't go into hard dirt.    I saw a guy screw one like that in with the help of some water  (I brought him the water) until it was almost OK.    Then the top broke off, leaving two inches of steel sticking up.   I went to mainenance and got a proper tool to dig up the remains. 

• 1 month later...

We're still in the "Pre-build" stage of a Cozy, But will be Flying in for the Fun.  Either a C172 or PA-28 (Depends on if 172 panel upgrade is done).  We'll be GAC, though will be scoping out every canard we see.  Esp for the "I learned..."  Is there anyone which could give an intro flight to solidify my decision in Canards.  

For those that've flown in Before, is there anything you "wished you had"  or "Didn't use, though you brought it"?  Trying to think thru Everything on this upcoming week!!!

Steak

That canard looks pretty BUT it suggests that you can paint a canard any way somebody wants to paint it.    That is OK with aluminum but fiberglass aircraft have to be painted WHITE or the energy of sunlight may create a structural problem.    Put the colored paint on the underside.

21 hours ago, A Bruce Hughes said:

That canard looks pretty BUT it suggests that you can paint a canard any way somebody wants to paint it.    That is OK with aluminum but fiberglass aircraft have to be painted WHITE or the energy of sunlight may create a structural problem.    Put the colored paint on the underside.

Most Definitely.  Isn't there "paints" that we could use that actually reflect other than white aircraft?  

https://aerospace.basf.com/heat-reflective-cool-pigments.html

Just thinking... What IF you were to "water cool" the wings of the plane (Just throwing it out there)?   It would be Hillarious to see a VantaBlack Carbon Fiber Plane :P

To "TheSteaks":    My Longeze is white and will stay white.   The company says:

Paliogen Black and Sicopal Black pigments achieve total solar reflectance (TSR) values of 45% and 30%, respectively.

45% is unacceptable to me.   You can melt your foam on your plane is you want.

I hope nobody is underneath when you have structural failure.

As of last night, there were 4 Long-Ezs, my VariEze, and a Defiant on Ez-Street.  We met Rick Hall (Cozy) & Ray Parker (Long-Ez) in HBC, and another Cozy and a Stagger-Ez was there too.  Ken Swain had his VariEze in the showplane parking area, and another Long-Ez near him.  We spotted another Cozy rolling to the North 40.  I am planning to capture pics of all we can find throughout the week.