Updated Costs of Open EZ build.

TDubs74

For those that might be interested in building the Open EZ, I am putting a spreadsheet together with modern day costs, suppliers, and part numbers.  I am about 70% done.  This would be the average build cost and would exclude engines, props, and avionics due to the fact that those will vary greatly from builder to builder.

I have found that a lot of the info online  is way out of date, or ballpark averages at best.  I should have it done by the end of the weekend and will post here.  From what I am finding so far, is it adds up fast, and the recommendations from those that have gone before, and offer the advice of picking up a project that is for sale on the cheaper side, should not be ignored.  Not to discourage a new build by any means.  It just might surprise you to see the deal you are getting from what raw materials alone cost.  Not to mention the labor saved.  

Anyway, be sure to check back here for the sheet.  

• Like 2

Tim W.

Selling RV-8 empanage kit.  Gearing up for Open EZ build.  The struggle is real.

After much eye crossing, here is the basic airframe cost sheet.  A couple of items are missing still, so figure probably a couple hundred more as it is some foam.  The running grand total is in the upper right.  Keep in mind, this has no prefab parts like canopy, cowling, engine mount, or gear legs yet.  If you are thinking of using Eureka for precut cores, add another $1500.  

Also, please do not take these prices or part numbers as gospel.  Make sure you double check.  But it gives a rough estimate as what you are into aside from prefab.  Also shipping could probably add at least another thousand. I know the canopy is about another $700, No idea on the cowl.  Main gear legs are about $600, and so on.  I'll keep updating as I get the info.

Open EZ Build - Sheet1.pdf Open EZ Build.xlsx

• Thanks 2

Tim W.

Selling RV-8 empanage kit.  Gearing up for Open EZ build.  The struggle is real.

Here are my costs for a Long-EZ, FWIW.  $38531.  That was with 2nd-hand avionics, an $8500 engine, 2nd hand prop and I made the engine mount and most of the parts people buy from the Cozy girrls.  Anyone who can come in under $40K to build one is doing pretty well, I'd say.  The biggest cost-saver is to buy an advanced project.

Long-EZ costs.pdf

• Like 2

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

On 7/25/2020 at 9:09 AM, Kent Ashton said:

Here are my costs for a Long-EZ, FWIW.  $38531.  That was with 2nd-hand avionics, an $8500 engine, 2nd hand prop and I made the engine mount and most of the parts people buy from the Cozy girrls.  Anyone who can come in under $40K to build one is doing pretty well, I'd say.  The biggest cost-saver is to buy an advanced project.

Awesome Kent.  Really like how yours shows how you went about acquiring some of these parts.

Tim W.

• 2 weeks later...