Nose bumper

Karmutzen

I have a bumper on top of the nose gear spring. Do I need another between the nose gear opening and the nose (only about 5 inches)? CP said “bumper directly under the NG31 bulkhead”, but I don’t know where that is or how to attach a hockey puck.  glue? one two or three bolts?

EFA612EF-10B7-45B4-A0AB-D0A6BD8E84EB.jpeg

The bumper should be placed where the nose would touch the ground, like so:  https://ez.canardaircraft.com/www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks/chapter_13_8.html

Personally, I use a hockey puck or other hard rubber, cut it to a pleasing shape and glue it to the nose with micro or contact cement, then run a small rim of BID around it.  Pic below is one on a Long-EZ.  I used a boat trailer bumper and cut a piece off.    No need to bolt it,  it will disappear with a nosegear-up landing.  I like the rubber bumper but there are many ideas such as the one above.

https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Trailer-Parts/Yates-Rubber/YR400BLK.html

IMG_0134.jpg

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

A bumper serves as something on which to rest the nose without screwing up the paint.  Can you rest the nose on yours?   It looks like you might have scraped the last one off.   If so, repair/repaint the scrape and  consider relocating the bumper.

generally, bumpers do not protect against damage from nosegear-up landings.   There is usually a repair needed but it’s pretty simple.   A PIA but simple.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold