Long-EZ plans wanted

Michael Schratt

Greetings Conard Zone members,

I'm interested in building a Long-EZ, and I just wanted to ask if anyone would be interested in selling their original set of used plans.

Thanks,

Michael Schratt
                      email: auroracad5@aol.com
                      815-814-2145

I am currently building to these plans. I was pleasantly surprised at the fit of my bulkheads and sides. I spent months obsessing over the accuracy. I too compared the available bl and wl measurements. We also have the plans for the Cozy  4, and in comparing the templates for the winglets they Match well. Finishing chapter 7 on the tandem. 

• Like 2

FZ

Long eze ,  # 712    Chapter and 14,  Chapter 13 and 16 done. 

Cozy Mark 4 # 1777  Chapter 5,  build on hold. 

• 4 years later...

How about the manuf manual. It has many patterns that are scaled with no measrements. How do I thrust that I print on the correct size?. The "A" drawings have scales at the bottom. Not the manual.

39 minutes ago, Aclouston said:

How about the manuf manual. It has many patterns that are scaled with no measrements. How do I thrust that I print on the correct size?. The "A" drawings have scales at the bottom. Not the manual.

It's a PDF file, right?  Those are pretty accurate and anyway, there is nothing very critical about those scaled drawings.  I built and EZ from those sort of plans and they were just fine.  If you see one you question, post it here.  So what is critical?  Getting the number of layups correct,  cutting good wing cores,  taking a little care with elevator and aileron mounting.  It ain't rocket science.  🙂  The only real defect I had was mounting a winglet with the wrong incident, which I was able to correct.   I think my method was an improvement on the plans   https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/18661-kents-long-ez-project/?do=findComment&comment=61654

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

0Ok let me run all of them and you can agree or disagree that if templates are made from the manual it could be an issue:

- engine baffles: no issues                - carb brackets: none                          - engine mount: Some dim missing    - carb heat: most dim are there          - throttle body:I don't think I'll make 

- landing brake:no issues if scaled    - consoles: no issues                          - strakes: nothing to scale                  - rudder belhrn.I get hiden if poss.    - CS132L: no issues                           - CS127: if IhaveCS128,I can manag     - CS128: CAN'T DO unless scaled   - Canopy locking: no issues (has to be fitted any way)                               - Trims:  no issues                               - Control stick: no issues                   - Bell cranks CS15: no issues             - CS72 brckt: LOOKS complicated   - Center spar; no issues                     - Nose gear: I think I can manage     - Roncz: THAT IS SCARY ( in regard to foam cutting)                                   - Everything in earlier chapters I think I can manage.

Note ; I do nt see a full scale note on the control stick page 16-4, but assume it is?

So, yes Ken I agree, except for the foam cores of the RoncZ that scares me a little (mainly because the manual and CPs urges us to be extra careful with the contour), I think I can safely scale the rest from a printed manual "to size". A few brackets are probably best to be purchased instead of fabricated anyway.

How do I make a call for anyone who could supply me with solid templates used on an actually built Roncz canard? Isn't it the same canard used on the Cozy?

Thanks

So the hardware is pretty much the same as the Cozy. On Marc’s webpage are the Cozy M drawings which have scale marks and are basically 1 to 1 prints. 
Yes the Roncz is same as on the Cozy except for the length.  I believe the template outlines are also in this package. 

FZ

1 hour ago, sixfivelrp said:

So the hardware is pretty much the same as the Cozy. On Marc’s webpage are the Cozy M drawings which have scale marks and are basically 1 to 1 prints. 
Yes the Roncz is same as on the Cozy except for the length.  I believe the template outlines are also in this package. 

The templates are not the same, because the spar cap trough depth is different, and the depth distribution is different, and the lift tab location is different. The airfoil shape is the same, but that's ALL that's the same.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Aclouston said:

the RoncZ that scares me a little (mainly because the manual and CPs urges us to be extra careful with the contour), I think I can safely scale the rest from a printed manual "to size". A few brackets are probably best to be purchased instead of fabricated anyway.

How do I make a call for anyone who could supply me with solid templates used on an actually built Roncz canard? Isn't it the same canard used on the Cozy?

The Long-EZ Roncz plans are available here  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8ljui4BNLG8UzZQbFRKTWl4d2c/edit?resourcekey=0-VabcczMNbd1ZW2otg6f-WA     Cutting Roncz cores is no big deal but it'd help to have assistance from someone who has cut foam cores before.  There is a bit of a learning curve.   Maybe Eureka is still selling them, in fact, they say buying all the cores from Eureka costs only a little more than the foam itself and it saves a lot of work.   https://eurekacnc.com/    They are said to be perfect.

One thing to note:  The elevator hardware on the Long-ez Roncz plans, where it goes through the fuselage, shows the original hinge system which requires a rather large hole in the fuselage wall.  Cozy plans went to an offset hinge which eliminates the large hole.  See "Torque Tube Offsets (L & R) here.  It is a worthwhile mod.  http://www.cozygirrrl.com/aircraftparts.htm

Acquiring parts like this can really slow your building down unless you get orders in early.  I would say "months in advance" but maybe they have them in stock.  It is the same for canopies and gear struts.  Aircraft Spruce and Wicks usually have what they advertise in stock.  Get their catalogs.

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Ok, got it. I already requested  airframe kit quotes from all ( except Wicks). I'll be more specific  to request lead times for the big thick foam pieces, gear legs struts and canopy.

I see the complementarity between CG, Aircraft Spruce and Aero Composites. But what about Wicks?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Aclouston said:

I see the complementarity between CG, Aircraft Spruce and Aero Composites. But what about Wicks?

I do not see that Wicks offers a Long-ez materials kit and I doubt they would want to quote every nut, bolt and yard of cloth.  I suggest starting by ordering the materials shown for Chapters 4,5,6,7 of the plans (p. 2-1), probably from Aircraft Spruce, start building the fuselage, then if you like it, order more materials.  I don't know of a good post by anyone describing how they ordered materials but I think it's wise get some experience before going whole-hog.  As you look at more airplanes, you will probably get ideas about what you want to build differently.

Also some of the sheet foams used are not the same now.  For example, the plans say for the fuselage sides are from "32 sq ft, .8 thick type R45 Dark blue" foam.  Spruce stocks 3/4" and 1" H45 Divinycell PVC at 3 lbs/cu foot and various Last-a-foam sheets at 4.5 lbs/cu foot.   You probably want Divinycell  for the fuselage but I don't take my word for it, talk to a more recent builder.  This guy has a discussion of foams  https://www.longezpush.com/building-terms-reference-guide/

I suspect the Facebook Cozy and EZ builders have more recent experience with materials (at least two channels) and could advise you.  Epoxy is an item that is expensive to ship.  Modern builders are using several kinds: MSG, Aeropoxy, Proset.  I have no opinion there.  I generally bought EZ-Poxy in a 5 gallon pail and decanted gallons into clean containers for easier use.

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Shipping costs can be higher than the materials you are ordering. One has to be strategic and use your community. On my most recent order I could have gotten next day air from one vendor for what the other wanted to charge for ground. Procuring materials and parts is largest hinderance to making progress. Plan ahead. If you work in parallel that helps, ie work on hardware in between layups. 

FZ