Moving to PRO-SET 125/229 from MGS 285/287

Jon Matcho

I have enjoyed using MGS 285/287, but have not found a 5-gallon option anywhere (in the United States; the North American MGS distributor is in Canada).  For 1-gallon orders from Aircraft Spruce, the problem is the $45 hazardous shipping fee for EACH container of slow hardener (a 2-gallon order requires 4 hardeners, 4 x $45 = US $180).  

My research shows that this PRO-SET system is as good as MGS 285 which I have enjoyed using, and does not have such hefty HazMat charges.  My only gripe is that I understand all PRO-SET to be shipped clear, whereas the MGS hardener was dyed, leaving no question whether the epoxy was mixed or not.  Still, from PRO-SET's web page on this system I note this:

Laminating Epoxies can by dyed, upon request, to provide for visual quality control. A yellow dye in the resin and a blue dye in the hardener, when properly metered and thoroughly mixed, will result in a consistent shade of green.

I might try Wicks Aircraft for this one.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Wick's nailed me big time on shipping for MGS335. It was on sale but they charge for hazard shipping.

Spruce did not stick me with the hazard shipping on that version of MGS so that might be an option for you.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

MGS 335 would be fine, but I've been using the slightly better 285 system and just want that for most everything I'm doing.  

Wicks doesn't offer PRO-SET, so I just ordered a gallon of that and a quart of West 105/209 to check it out (also approved for building).

I did come up with this list of epoxy cost per gallon as part of this exercise:

• E-Z Poxy II:  $120
  • West 105:  $132
  • MGS 335:  $134
  • PRO-SET 125:  $159
  • MGS 285:  $209 (includes HazMat fee)

If I lived close to Aircraft Spruce and could pick it up, I'd stick with MGS 285.  

Moving on...

I used 335 for most of the build.... its a very nice system and easy to work with.  I used EZ Poxy for the strakes and I liked using it too.  Aircraft Spruce charges no hazmat for 335 or EZ Poxy.... I think they are both excellent products.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Yes, a lot of people have used 335 successfully.  I should just try some.  The 335 resin has a higher viscosity than 285, but I recall they're comparable when mixed with hardener.

A great feature of the MGS epoxy is the blue-dyed hardener, which helps greatly to see whether your epoxy is mixed well enough.

After swearing I had more MGS L285 resin (I had extra hardeners) and looking everywhere for over a month, I was pointed to a box by the wall just 3 steps from my shop entrance.  So now I have ~1.5 gallons of MGS on hand and 1 gallon of PRO-SET in the mail along with a quart of the West system.  I also found some Aeropoxy in that box as well.  "Oh yeah, THAT box!" 

I gotta get my shop in gear!