Cozy/Speed Brakes

AeroTesla1

Since the Cozy does not have flaps to help with slower landing speeds, short or soft field landings, are speed brakes out of the question?

What is it you thing "speed brakes" are, and what do you think they do?

Would it be that hard to add flaps, without destroying the intgrity of the design? Thank you!

It would be harder than "that hard" to add flaps - see the Beech Starship, and what they had to do to add flaps to the canard configuration.

What is it you thing "speed brakes" are, and what do you think they do?

It would be harder than "that hard" to add flaps - see the Beech Starship, and what they had to do to add flaps to the canard configuration.

I really think the ability to direct the thrust from the ducted fans, could be a huge help in compensating for the lack of flaps.

As previously mentioned, just need to run the program and see.

Worth the time and effort in my very humble opinion.

Nothing complex.

Adjusting the ducted fan's thrust, would work just like a flap bar, as found on older Cessnas and Piper A/C.

I will let you know what the model results say, if you would like.?.

Thanks again,

Al.

Edited by AeroTesla1

I now realize she has a speed brake. Learning as I go, about an A/C, I have come to admire in a unspeakable manner.

It is not really a "speed" brake, it's actually a landing brake.  It can only be deployed at low speed.  The purpose is to deploy it on final approach to reduce the tendency of these slick airplanes to float in ground effect.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I now realize it has a speed brake. I flew Gliders, very familiar with their funtion, thanks!

If you believe that speed brakes somehow lower landing speeds, then I'd disagree that you understand their capabilities or how they work.

The Landing Brake in a canard aircraft is purely a drag device - it does not either increase the lift coefficient of the wing nor decrease the lift generation, as speed brakes do. It does not affect the landing speed at all - it only adds drag to decrease the glide ratio of the aircraft. Speed brakes do the same thing by killing lift. The LB increases the "D" in L/D, while speed brakes decrease the "L" in L/D.

Neither increases Cl or A, which are the only way to decrease landing speeds.