What's a Berkut 360 worth today?

TuscanR

I looked into buying one of these and came up with 2 answers

- $45,000 for an unfinished project (risky business since don't know how well it was put together)

- $150,000 (AUS) for a plane in Australia (seems pricey AND it's in Australia)

Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

Anyone know of a place to look?

Are my assessments wrong? - thoughts?

I realise many things contribute to a higher/lower price, really looking for other examples & a realistic number.

Edited by TuscanR

$45,000 for an unfinished project (risky business since don't know how well it was put together)

I only know of one Berkut project for sale, and last I checked it was about this price. My understanding of that particular project (and I do NOT know if it's the one you're talking about) is that you should avoid it like the plague.

$150,000 (AUS) for a plane in Australia (seems pricey AND it's in Australia)

Very few Berkut's go up for sale regularly, so it's very hard to know what the "current" price would be. However, given what others have sold for in the past, and assuming that it's a decent plane in good shape, that's NOT an unreasonable price in comparison.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

Anyone know of a place to look?

Are my assessments wrong? - thoughts?

I realise many things contribute to a higher/lower price, really looking for other examples & a realistic number.

There aren't many places to look, and there are few available at any particular time. What one sold for may not have any applicability to what the next one will sell for.

There are lots of Long-EZ's for sale and given the relative performance of the two aircraft, the price premium for the Berkut (to me) is absurd. I've flown both (and work on both) and while the Berkut's a nice enough plane, there are many things about it that are worse than the Long-EZ, as well as a few that are nicer. Now, for an O-540 Berkut, maybe the added performance is worth the price - I know folks that cruise cross-country (east coast to west or vice versa) in daylight at 22K - 25K ft. - but still, I don't see it for the O-360 Berkuts.

My $0.02.

I looked into buying one of these and came up with 2 answers

- $45,000 for an unfinished project (risky business since don't know how well it was put together)

Are you talking about the Berkut project on Barnstormers.com posted Feb 9th?  Actually $45K for that doesn't sound too bad for that project.  I imagine it could be completed for another $30K to 45K depending on engine so you have less than $100K in it.  I agree with Marc, though, you can buy a good, flying Long-ez for $40-45K.  $100k to $150K for a flying Berkut is paying a lot to get there 20 minutes faster.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Are you talking about the Berkut project on Barnstormers.com posted Feb 9th?  Actually $45K for that doesn't sound too bad for that project.

I do not believe that that's the project I previously referenced.

I imagine it could be completed for another $30K to 45K depending on engine so you have less than $100K in it.

Eh - if you're a good scrounge, and get a mid-time engine and day VFR panel, maybe. But who does that for a Berkut? For a new engine and an IFR glass panel, I'd guess closer to $120K by the time you get through with everything. Maybe a bit more.

I agree with Marc, though, you can buy a good, flying Long-ez for $40-45K.  $100k to $150K for a flying Berkut is paying a lot to get there 20 minutes faster.

And in fact, I've got one for sale in my shop for $40K :-).

• 5 years later...