Click Bond Tip

TMann

I was installing a series of six click bonds to mount the landing brake to the fuselage. As I was driving home from work I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice to have a small diameter soda straw to protect the threads while I was doing my layups over them.

Then it hit me ....... I whipped into Home Depot (honking and swerving wildly) and picked up a package of the shrink tubing you use for covering the solder joint on wiring.

I cut the length into thirds and put a little silicone sealant in the end and pushed them on. A shot from the heat gun and they shrank to make a tight seal around the threads. I did the fuselage side of the layups last night so all I should have to do is slit the sidewall and pull them off. :D

Easier and more effective than trying to tape them.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I was installing a series of six click bonds to mount the landing brake to the fuselage. As I was driving home from work I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice to have a small diameter soda straw to protect the threads while I was doing my layups over them.

Then it hit me ....... I whipped into Home Depot (honking and swerving wildly) and picked up a package of the shrink tubing you use for covering the solder joint on wiring.

I cut the length into thirds and put a little silicone sealant in the end and pushed them on. A shot from the heat gun and they shrank to make a tight seal around the threads. I did the fuselage side of the layups last night so all I should have to do is slit the sidewall and pull them off. :D

Easier and more effective than trying to tape them.

Great Idea T.

you don't need the messy silicone as when the tube shrinks it will seal the threads. If you want to seal the top, while it is still hot, with moistened fingers, fold it over, pinch it and when it cools (the wet fingers prevent it from burning you) you are good to go.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

You guys are just figuring this stuff out? :)

Well, you didn't tell us about this idea in your website discussion on the things. Heck, you had us making our own thread cleaners by cutting nuts with exploding discs, IIRC! :D :D :D

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Here a pic. You don't even have to cut them off. Just a couple of twists and it's done.

Hey Girrrls ...... I just came up with it when I needed it.

.... I've got an extra pair of those fancy hinges now. I just need to find another place to use them....

post-2251-141090168936_thumb.jpg

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

How does the clickbond compare structurally to the plans setup,

I'm working with more than just the Long-EZ plans. Actually there never was a drawing/plans for the Long-EZ ..... they just sent the Vari-Eze drawings. I have 6 click bonds to attach the landing brake hinge to the fuselage. I don't have any numbers for you but when I compare the plans method vs. Aerocad vs. Berkut this method seemed to be a good fit,

or conversely a bolt into a nutplate mounted on a submerged hardpoint?

Equally good. About the only difference is I can put a different nut on a click bond.

I would say that one of the deciding factors would be how much clearance do you have for the particular application you are working on.

Example: A click bond would be the better solution for an aileron hinge

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I quote from our Clickbonds cartoon: "Put vinyl electrical tape on the threads..." (Randi is too cheap to let me use shrink tube) Avoid getting the metal any warmer than needed to shrink the tube quickly. If they are going to be hanging out there for awhile like the ones on your firewall, push a block of foam on them or something to avoid impacting them as you move other stuff around.

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo