Tire questions

rogerbacon

So, last weekend I changed my first flat tire on my Long-EZ. I had a spare tube and I took the tire off and took the tube out and replaced it. Kind of simple, except for getting the nut off because part of the cotter pin broke off inside and sort of stripped the inside of the nut so that it turned freely but wouldn't come off.

Anyway, I've heard people talk about having to split the tire in half to change it but I didn't have to do that. I could just pull the old tube out and put the new one in. Did I do it wrong? I only taxied with it but it seemed to work fine.

Also, I want to order another spare tube and/or tire. What size should I order and where should I get them from?

So, last weekend I changed my first flat tire on my Long-EZ. I had a spare tube and I took the tire off and took the tube out and replaced it. Kind of simple, except for getting the nut off because part of the cotter pin broke off inside and sort of stripped the inside of the nut so that it turned freely but wouldn't come off.

Anyway, I've heard people talk about having to split the tire in half to change it but I didn't have to do that. I could just pull the old tube out and put the new one in. Did I do it wrong? I only taxied with it but it seemed to work fine.

Also, I want to order another spare tube and/or tire. What size should I order and where should I get them from?

Roger,

I may be speaking totally out of my hat (or other orifi) , but that never stopped me.

It seems like there are two issues here.

1 the cotter pin stripping some threads which allowed the nut to turn freely but not come off. Was it the nut that was stripped or the axle?

I assume that you are talking about the large nut that holds the wheel/bearing assembly to the axle.

This may be a critical safety concern.

The purpose of this nut is twofold. a. to hold the wheel on the axle and prevent it from going one way while the aircraft goes the other. b. to put a preload on the bearings (if they are tapered) so that they function properly, not self-destruct and allow the wheel to track in the direction preferred without wobble. The nut is tightened to a specific tension (usually by determining the drag on the wheel.

This may be a critical situation.. Find out why this happened, the damage and replace/repair the damaged parts lest you impress all those on the ramp with low level aerobatics.

The second issue, that of changing the tire without having to split the rims, is one that I have not heard of (in my relative lack of tire changing experience.) It sounds like you were able to remove the tire like an automotive tire. One thing that I would be concerned with is damage done to the rim (they are either aluminum or Magnesium and are quite soft.) Most of the aircraft tires that I have removed are real bitc# to break the bead from the rim (I sometimes use blocks of wood and the weight of my hanger door)

Since I have never changed tires without separating the wheel, I may be way off base here.

Is the tire the right size for the wheel or is there a mismatch? Did you damage the new tire by stretching the bead?

Did you just replace the tube or the tire and tube? If just the tube, why?

The size of the tube and tire depend really on the size of the wheel on which it will ride. Don't depend on getting the numbers off of the old tire as you may have the wrong tire for the wheel.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

erm, is it a terminology thing? The way I read it he took the WHEEL off the aircraft, then removed the old tube and replaced it without removing the tyre (tire?) from the wheel.

I may be wrong, but this does seem likely. Agree the thread damage is a concern. If you are not sure the axle is cactus or not get an opinion from somebody who knows, and get a new nut.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Hi all,

I'm writing fron my phone cause computer's down so may look bad...

Yes i need to find out if it was the nut or the boltthat was stripped, I plan to buy replacement parts for both si will be able to replace the right one when i get to the plane and only have to take the thing off once. By the way. what size bolt is that for the nosewheel? I've been reading up on the termiknology so I can understand whatthe numbers mean better.

As for the tire... I replaced the tube because it has aleak. The tire itself looks fine. Sorry if i used the wrong term earlier(longest phone message ever)

Roger,

The nose tire and tube on the Long-EZ are size 2.80/2.50-4. The meaning of this designation is as follows: 2.80-inch tire section width, 2.50-inch tire section height, 4-inch wheel rim diameter.

Aircraft Spruce and others sell a McCreary (now Specialty Tires of America, STA) 4-ply tire with zig-zag tread in this size.

Another option is the ribbed tire (looks like a standard aircraft tire) by Aero Classic. It is available in 4 and 6-Ply versions from:

http://www.desser.com/

The 4-ply should be sufficient for a stock Long-EZ. You will have to take the wheel halves apart to get the tire off. Be sure to deflate the tire before doing this. On reassembly, coat inside of tire and outside of tube with a dusting of talcum power; it will reduce friction between the two. Use care not to pinch the tire between the wheel halves on assembly.

To find the bolt size needed for your nose gear axle, measure the outside width of the fork at the point where the bolt goes through. Measure this in fractional inches. This is the "grip" of the bolt you need. Go to the Aircraft Spruce web site. You need a 1/4-inch diameter bolt, so search the site for AN4 bolts with your grip length.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an4.php

Cheers,

Kin