TMann Posted May 23, 2009 Share Posted May 23, 2009 I was making the wheel cover for my nose gear yeserday and made an interesting discovery. I had drawn out my profile and cut it out of a scrap of wingfoam which I was going to use as a mold. In the process I ralized I had made a miscut with my hotwire bandsaw so I corrected it by gluing the piece back together with 3M 78 spray adhesive. After glassing the part I stuck it in a vacuum bag and turned it on. Later in the day, I pulled it from the bag an popped it into the DAU (domestic autoclave unit) that I keep in our kitchen for 2 hours @ 180F. In the process of transfering it to the DAU I noticed that the area where I had sprayed the adhesive was indented. It appears as though the adhesive weakens the foam. I encountered the same problem when I was making the nose shell. I ended up doing it over WITHOUT the vacuum bag. I'm now convinced that the problem lies with the adhesive. I'm glad that I discovered this prior to glassing my wings. The wing skins will be carbon fiber and it will also be vacuum bagged. I can just imagine adding up the cost of such a mistake. Quote T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18 Velocity/RG N951TM Mann's Airplane Factory We add rocket's to everything! 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.