Stupid question?

Why are the left/right sides of the seatback glassed and not the other bulkheads? Is it because of the thicker foam or just becuase this is the first part we make and Nat wanted to cover a lot of different techniques? or, is it a different answer I'm totally missing?

I would think that it adds strength but Nat may have also added that step for the beginning builder to gain experience in flox joints in a non critical area. Whatever the reason, follow the instructions in the plans and sooner, rather than later, you will have a wonderful flying Cozy MKIV.

Why are the left/right sides of the seatback glassed and not the other bulkheads? Is it because of the thicker foam or just becuase this is the first part we make and Nat wanted to cover a lot of different techniques? or, is it a different answer I'm totally missing?

we did a 45 deg. at the top and bottom but i dont remember the sides being covered ?

Steve M. Parkins

Technically the sides get covered (Chapter 4, page 1, Fig. 5 shows this very clearly). But general thinking seems to be that Nat just wanted the builder to gain experience.

There are those who did it and those who didn't. I am one of the didn'ts. I just microed the foam, sanded down, and floxed it in place. In order for the BID to lay down the sides nicely, the sides of the back need to have a radius. Otherwise you'd probably get some nasty bubbles along the edges. I also preferred to have the seatback square to the sides when floxing it in place, instead of a rounded edge.

I really don't think it matter one way or the other, otherwise it would have ended up int he archives as a "must do"....

Just my opinion, don't deviate from the plans if you dont feel comfortable with it!

Jim

Cozy MKIV #1565 (Chapter 6)

Charlotte, NC

Not trying to start a big debate or anything here. Chapt. 4 Page 1 Fig. 5 shows a section A-A that looked like it was showing that the sides get glassed.

It consufed to me a bit and that made me wonder if I was reading the plans right. Then, last night, I was re-re-re-re-reading ahead to Chapter 6 and noticed another drawing that clarifies. Chapt. 6 Pg. 2 Fig. 7 show the detail of the joint between the seatback and the fuselage side. It's definately got the sides glassed with back side rounded and a flox corner.

The pretty much answers the question about my interpritation of the plans. As to why Nat called for that I guess it doesn't matter. I'm going to follow the plans and build an airplane. :)

thanks guys!