Sanding fuselage sides

sprint100

I am in Chapter 5 about to lay the foam down on the masonite and jigs. Since I am like most and want my sides to have the same curvature/shape as close as possible, my question is for after I mate the walls to the bulkheads.

In case some sanding of the foam is necessary, how thin is too thin.

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments

You should not have to sand the foam when assembling the sides in Chapter 6. When you build the sides in the masonite jigs, adding the foam spacers, longerons and glass, they will have the desired curvature. :cool:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

I used too many of the small globs of 5 min epoxy, or maybe not to many, but just too much 5 min epoxy. The side foam popped off the masonite OK, but I had quite a few large divots to repair. Use very small dabs of epoxy, like maybe the diameter of a pencil.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

I used too many of the small globs of 5 min epoxy, or maybe not to many, but just too much 5 min epoxy. The side foam popped off the masonite OK, but I had quite a few large divots to repair. Use very small dabs of epoxy, like maybe the diameter of a pencil.

you have the sides done and needed to repair small spots be for glassing the sides, right ? ether way i cant see any issues yet. see if the sides are with-in 1/2 in length and you will be fine. cc girl said measure with mic's,mark with a Sharpe, and trim with a chain saw.....lol your OK and the plane will be OK.:P

Steve M. Parkins

I haven't put my fuse tub on a CMM, but...

If you tick/draw a centerline on all your bulkheads, make sure this tick is inline and centered during bulkhead install, very little (if any) sanding will be needed for symmetry. If they are off, fix during the strakes, canard, canopy, fuel sump, nose ... stage.

Get the center lines aligned.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.