6.5" to 8.0" EFIS comparison

oscarm98

Help, I am looking to replace some of my steam gauges (ADI, DG, AS, VVI, ALT) with one of the many "big box" EFIS' offered by Dynon, Grand Rapids, Blue Mountain, Garmin, MGL (I could go on for a while). Has anyone seen (or created) a "Consumer Reports" style report or spreadsheet on what each has to offer?

When I look on Spruce there are about 8 or 9 models offered (with multiple offerings by some manufacturers), but not much information. I am looking for a basic single (not much room on my panel) 6 pack EFIS that I can tie my Terra TN200 Nav and Garmin GPS into so that I can fly some light IFR (I would not mind integrated GPS and Autopilot as well).

I really do not want to start a big discussion about redundancy or have someone rant about one of these companies poor customer service either. Just the facts please.:D

My DG has gone bad recently so instead of popping $500 to fix it I would rather upgrade.

Thank you.

Oscar

My friend has built 2 IFR RV's and swears by Grand rapids. I chose to put the GR sport in my Ez altho it is not flying yet so I cant say but I have flown the RV and was very impressed with the GR. I also installed a panel for the GIB you can see some pics onwww.wildbird.zenfolio.com

Good Luck

I have not flown my Dynon D-100 (seven inch diag screen...wish I had the room for the new ten inch they are introducing) yet but I can tell ya it is pretty kewl and Dynon has been a dream to work with. Very responsive to input and tech.

My Continental pilot buddy a few hangars down has the same unit in his RV-8 and also swears by it. He remarks that he could use in in the 737's he pilots....says in some ways it is better than what he uses at work.

All the best,

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

...... Has anyone seen (or created) a "Consumer Reports" style report or spreadsheet on what each has to offer?

Oscar

It may be that the answer to your question is NO, no one to date has prepared a 'Consumer Reports' style comparison of EFIS offerings.

Perhaps you could take on that project. Kitplanes or Sport Aviation magazine might welcome such an article (although they may be sensitive to torquing off their advertisers).

Anyone willing to bite?

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist

Cozy Mark IV Started 2/12/2009 - Now on Chap. 6

http://web.me.com/lhendrick/Cozy_MkIV/Welcome.html

My friend has built 2 IFR RV's and swears by Grand rapids. I chose to put the GR sport in my Ez altho it is not flying yet so I cant say but I have flown the RV and was very impressed with the GR. I also installed a panel for the GIB you can see some pics onwww.wildbird.zenfolio.com

Good Luck

That a/c will be really nice when you are done. I like the armpit windows for the GIB. I tried to fly mine from the backseat (not solo) the other day and both the EFIS and windows would have been a big help in the landing flare.

Well this (so far) confirms what I have been thinking up to now.

I have been between both the Dynon D100 and the Grand Rapids Sport. Does someone know if either (or both) of these will "play" with my Terra TN200 Nav?

I assume that they both will "play" with my Garmin 696.

I have around 70 hours with the Dynon D100, and are very happy with it.

It does not have to be any larger, all information is very easily read.

Maybe I just havent figured it out yet,but somehow the compass is showing to much deviation.

If you run a moving map along with the Dynon this is not an issue.

Within the next week, if weather allows, I will pick up a CTSW in Berlin. This is equipped with the MGL Enigma. It is exiting to see if that screen is big enough for all the additional features.

Reasently I have startet to fly a C172 Garmin 1000-this is a toy.You keep finding new features at least the first ten hours.

This G1000 is absolutely the best EFIS I have tried, Naturally with that pricetag.

Helge Andersen

Plane will be called `Hugin`

After Odins raven

Bluemountain Efis lite G4 Is very good stuff I have some 170Hrs. using that machine.

I don't have any intention to fly toward moon and it was just good during my TLV-OSH-TLV flight.

If you use the BM Auto Pilot too, it can save space on the IP becouse you control the AP by the Efis and you dont need individual AP control panel .

I like to convince BM to give option to control Auto Pilot bearing and altitude directly on the ADY screen.

So if you give them that request as purchase condition it will be nice